Herb Bed, backwall and cinderblock wall

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by toni, Mar 19, 2009.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Just a mishmash of my yard today.

First bloom on the Petunia that has come back for the 3rd or 4th year in a row
    [​IMG]
    First bloom ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

This is just for the fun of it. A plastic cauldron planted with Snapdragons, an old broom and Morning Glory seeds, the vines will, hopefully, use the broom as a trellis
    [​IMG]
    Future Morning Glory trellis ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

I created this in January and forgot to post a picture. I had several cinder blocks, given to us by friend. Several have been used around the yard, these were always in the way so I stacked them, painted with a concrete paint color named Cinnamon and created a wall in an attempt to create a nicer view thru the back gate from the street. It has some of those two color orange Marigolds plant in the holes and some pretties in the holes of the second row of blocks. The birdhouse planter in front is planted with Snowflakes and one if finally blooming.
    [​IMG]
    My wall ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

This is the Herb Bed so far, I still need to buy some Patchouli, Fennel, more Comfrey, Borage for it.
    Right now there are Parsley and Dill for the Butterfly caterpillars, three kinds of Basil, a Lavender. In the pots are Thyme, Roman Chamomile, Germander and Oregano. The pot on Daniel the Dragon's back holds one of the Sweet Violets I moved and the white pot next to him holds the other. I also found a third Violet that a bird planted for me in one of the wheelbarrows.
    Still have several things to do with and to that back wall, those photos will come later.
    [​IMG]
    Beginning of the Herb Bed ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Toni, next time your imagination runs away with you, please persuade it to come to Norway. I could do with some of your imaginativeness. (Is that a word?) I really like that broom/trellis, and the cinderblock wall is a stroke of genious. Your herbs bed looks very inviting. I'd move in if I were a caterpillar.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I really like the cinder block wall Toni - what a lovely feature it makes.
    I must remember to check the two hanging baskets I have and see if any of my petunias are showing signs of new growth. I think I may have cut them back too late in the year and the frosts might have killed them off but we'll see. I hate throwing anythng out before it's had plenty of time to prove it's actually dead!!
    You have a great selection of herbs. I wonder why some people won't grow them? I think they can look really pretty in a garden and they certainly attract bees and butterflies.
    Your cauldron has reminded me that I meant to pick up some snapdragon seeds today. I did get everything else plus some sweet williams though.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

You sure do have some great idea's Toni. I like your cauldron and cinder block wall. Your herb garden looks good too. Were you planning to add the Comfrey to that garden? Comfrey gets very large and would probably shade out your other herbs.
    I had no idea that Petunia's would survive for so long!

Advertisement
  6. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Very creative you are.......

Nothing like an emagination..

b

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I really like your cinder block wall Toni, the colour is excellent, well chosen.

8. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I'm enjoying your cauldron with the flowers and your herb garden-very creative.

9. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Genius - that is what you are when it comes to focal points in your garden. I love the colour on your focal cinder block wall. A stroke of genius indeed.
    My goodnes four years and still going strong. You got to love Petunias. :-D

10. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I like the cinder block wall. Very bright in color really makes your eye go right to it. What are the pretties in the second row?? Great herb garden, and lovely little petunia.

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sorry to be so late replying, got a little busy with my Mom and her hospital stay this weekend.

Thanks so much for liking my unusual garden feature ideas. I am really looking forward to the MG climbing on that broom and the brick wall will eventually have a mulched area in front of it to finish it off.

These are the things in the holes in the second row of bricks, in taking the pictures I realized that I still have one hole to fill :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a little guy who just leans on the wall and watches the cars drive by out front.

[​IMG]

12. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Nice and clever..

b

13. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I like the duck Toni, almost looks real :)

14. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Toni

You went thru alot to paint those bricks.. I like the color also......

bali

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Toni ....it ALL looks really good, but the red cinderblock structure is inspired. Really.

16. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Everything looks just perfect.When your imaginativeness is back from Norway, can you send it my way for a few days? I am acutely challenged in that area :(