Herb Garden-ish Help?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Green_Numb, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

got a small area on the back of the house where ive added some small plants over the years that were gifts and such, i think most of em are herbs but im not real sure and have forgotten the names. I do recognize Rosemary and just planted a smaller one near the large corner one in the '09 pics. I really like Rosemary's smell...

heres the area and thats chloe the dog!
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Green_Numb's Garden )

i think this is some lemon named herb but i could be wrong.
    [​IMG]

these guys right on the corner are a mystery to me as well..
    [​IMG]

nice looking flower and colour..

[​IMG]

pic from the past year in full bloom.
    [​IMG]

do you think any of this stuff will keep spreading out and overrun the other guys?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Donna S
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Green_Numb
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

The second photo looks like the herb lemon balm GN. We have this in part of our garden and it can be very invasive.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Lemon Balm and Bee Balm is the one with the nice looking red flower.

5. petunia

petunia Young Pine

The second from the bottom would be a bee balm I beleive. And your last pict on the far left looks to be red hot pokers. I'm trying to start these from seed at this time. I find them very pretty.
    I really love the smell of rosemary but I have such a hard time growing it here.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If you live in a warmer climate with mild winters then the Melissa officinalis (Lemon Balm) will be invasive. It can be divided in the spring and put in other parts of the garden or given away.

The Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary) can grow to be quite large. The largest one in my yard is getting close to 6 feet across.

The Kniphofia uvaria (Red Hot Poker, Torch Lily) will probably increase in size over the years but it is another one you can divide and transplant or give away.

Monarda didyma (Bee Balm) is pretty much the same, divide when needed.

The plant in the corner of the third picture, I am not sure what it is.

7. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Yeppers thats lemon balm. the plant in the third pic is Tarragon. What kind i can't be sure. Looks like the french kind to me. If you start to pinch it back it will grow bushier. Use what you pinch back to make bernais (? spelling) sauce, tarragon oils and vinagers. Tarragon has absolutly no medicinal value. Its just about the only herb that doesn't. But it sure tastes good! Please don't let your herbs flower until the end of the season so they can then spread or you can collect seeds. Once an herb flowers it looses most of its punch in taste or medicine. Pinch it back so all the sun and earths energies can go direct to the leaves for full flavor.

4th pic looks to be a mint of somekind. again i can't tell unless i taste it. Pinch a leaf and just taste. If its bitter, spit it out. If it tastes on the sweet to savory side, enjoy. since it has flowered, pinch it back and do as above and you will have full flavor mint, (if thats what it is, i think it is)

Lemon balm and mint will take over your herb garden, so the best thing to do is either dig it up and plant in containers, or put in ground edging to help contain it.