herb season

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by Wise Sage, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Wise Sage

Wise Sage New Seed

How is herb season treating everyone? This is my first season to really be doing a lot of cooking with fresh herbs and WOW!! What a great way to add flavor AND keep things healthy. Last night I made a lime/cilantro marinade for my shrimp. I didnt have to use any butter, salt, or oil, and it was fantastic. Also, I have enjoyed throwing some Creeping Mother Thyme on my chicken. It gives off a more mild flavor for those who think Rosemary is too strong (like i do). Next I'm gonna try something with Bergartten Sage...any ideas?

2. Loading...

3. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I have bought some differant herb seeds this year, that I haven't grown before in hopes to hang them upside down to dry. I would like to try my hand at using them for flavorings in food.

4. Wise Sage

Wise Sage New Seed

Which herb seeds did you buy?

5. petunia

petunia Young Pine

more rosemary, sage, thyme, mint (peppermint), oregano, tarragon. chamomile.
    I have basil, chives, parsley, garlic, & I believe it to be speariment all in my herb garden already.
    kinda new on all this herb stuff myself. Told myself I never wanted an herb garden. But as the saying goes "never say never". Now I want to try these new seeds to use for cooking.

Advertisement
  6. Wise Sage

Wise Sage New Seed

you might want to contain your mints as they are amzingly invasive. Otherwise you've picked all the best ones. I actually dont do many herbs in my garden as I plant them in containers and place them on my porch or windowsill. Let me know if you have any good cooking experiences with them. Good luck!
    Also, being an herb grower, I'm curious to which varieties you chose.

7. petunia

petunia Young Pine

sage-broad leaf, rosemary-rosemarinus officinalis, thyme-thymus vularis, oregano-origanum vulare, terragon-artemsia redowski.
    I haven't had alot of luck with rosemary. I've even bought plants and then they've died out. I keep trying though because I like their fragerance.

8. Wise Sage

Wise Sage New Seed

When do they die out? In northern Michigan you are probably out of their hardy zone. Rosemary is generally a pretty tough plant otherwise. So if they have died in the spring or summer, make sure it is getting plenty of sunlight and doesnt get too dry. While it may have a nice fragrance I do not recommend rosemary as an indoor plant...even on a windowsill. Direct sunlight is important.

9. mtathome

mtathome Seedling

I love sage on my turkey. Have to remember to start some chamomile this year for tea.

10. Cindy

Cindy New Seed

Hi,

How do these herbs stimulate the immune system? Echinacea (allspecies), today the most popular North American herb, has been shownto be both bacteriostatic and anti viral.[4] Golden seal root (Hydrastiscanadensis) has powerful effects in drying the mucus membranes andinhibiting a wide range of hostile microorganisms. Chaparral (Larreadivaricata) has strong anti microbial activity and has been shown tosedate inflammation of the respiratory and intestinal tract.[5] Garlic (allium sativum) containsallicin which has been shown to be not only antibacterial but antiviral against influenza virus.[6],[7] The powerful deep immunestimulating properties of astragalus (astragalus membranicus) will bediscussed further on.

Cindy.

11. flowerpower313

flowerpower313 Seedling

I have to start more thyme this yr. We just had too much rain for them last season. I got caraway and fennel seeds in a trade. I am also trying sesame (not really an herb) this yr. I wanted to try Rue but never ended up getting seed

12. lexxivexx

lexxivexx In Flower

I've still got my Rosemary and Thyme from last year and they are very well-traveled herbs, I might add! People thought it was pretty weird to see potted plants buckled in the seat next to me when I'd pull up for a stay. Everyone I cooked for was happy about it though! Fresh herbs are like a taste of summer when you're stuck with storebought, canned or frozen veggies for winter. :-D

I'm doing Sweet and Thai Basil, Lemon Thyme, Sage, Nasturtium (I LOVE them in salad) and Oregano so far. I'm an addict, so who knows what I'll put my hands on by May.

13. flowerpower313

flowerpower313 Seedling

I think I have had my sage plants for around 8 yrs. They are still going strong. :) Two others I would recommend are Lemon Balm and Garlic Chives. Also, I leave scallions (bunching onions)in the ground all yr long. They have multiplied nicely and I can dig out good sized clumps