Hey Buddy can you share some rain?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by koszta kid, Jun 13, 2012.

1. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Just got done watering flower and veggy garden. We mulched veggy garden the other day. And I have been mulching the flower beds.But Pray they get rain out west to end the fires. But crops need rain here in Iowa. Some areas have gotten rain. The good all nighters.But went right around here.

2. Loading...

3. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

We finally got a good rain here, it was so dry I was very happy to see 2.5" of rain in my gauge. Just west of here only got a trace. Looks like there's more chances of rain throughout the week, but nothing substantial. I'm appreciating the short break from the watering!

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Congratulations on your rain. We also got some rain today, not that it's unusual in any way but we've actually had over a week of nice, dry weather, and that's unusual! :D But right now we needed a bit of rain.

5. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Oh my, guys, if only I could give you some of the rain we've been having here lately, gallons of the stuff!

While your plants are thirsty, mine are "drunk", i.e. waterlogged & rotting away.
    (On the positive side, at least I save money on my water bill this year :stew1: )

Advertisement
  6. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

I really wish I could send some of our rain over to you. We have had the wettest spring since records began. Our village and surrounding areas have been flooded as the drains could not take the massive amount of water. We have had one fine day today and I have taken full advantage to get out in my garden, even though I am somewhat hobbling due to the after effects of my knee operation :D .....and still we have a hosepipe ban in our part of the country :-x I do hope you get some rain soon to help your gardens along.

7. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We had storms yesterday and ended up with 1.84 inches of rain. But, it is sunny and hot now and it will dry out soon. I'd be happy to send all the rainwater that runs down our creekbed road. It was a muddy mess this morning. We slid sideways all the way up the hill. No ditch to slide into so we were okay.
    dooley

8. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

4 years ago today. Most of this area was flooded. In Cedar Rapids was 20 feet over flood stage.I have posted what my front lawn looked like. But not the case this year. Some of the corn crop has root disease. Not enough rain to make roots. High winds will fall over. So will say a prayer.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

AHHH, I can commiserate with you. We have had next to nothing all spring and summer starts next week. THe 3/4th's of an inch we were supposed to get on Monday evaporated before it made it here :( So I am hoping we all can get what we need soon.

10. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Youngest Son works construction. Runs trencher-says ground in dry for long ways down. And will see if DH can hook up sand point-so will not cost me to water trees and flowers. He have had rural water since 98.

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I was dragging hoses and setting sprinklers yesterday afternoon while watching a really large black cloud pass to the south of me. And considering what that cloud brought with it and left behind I much preferred dragging hoses and setting sprinklers.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Severe-w ... 77495.html Hail stones from tennis ball size to hockey puck size...about 3 inches in diameter.
    And this is just one location.

12. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Toni, I seen on news the hail. Window,car repairs, will be busy for long time. Weather dude said we might get some rain this weekend.Was at a cafe when this came. Young guy complained -it was on weekend. Everyone turned around and just glared at him.

13. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

a few days ago parts of our city got rain, but it totally passed by me. We need it! Last year it was sooo wet, this year is totally opposite -_-

14. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Thanks for sharing rain. Got some both Fri and Sat night.Corn crop looks better. I can water our plants-but very few Farmers can irrigate.We need more but people out West need the rain. To put out fires. And give Poor Firemen a break.

15. NorthernLady

NorthernLady New Seed

I wish I could send everyone the rain that Duluth, MN got! They were/are extremely flooded. :(

16. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I have been flooded in the past. Dh built a flood wall so water goes around. in 08 only way for 4 days wade or small boat to my house. We are bone dry now. Rain Sat-just few specks. But Out West need rain to put out fires. And No more rain In Florida.But I can water my flower and veggy garden. Farmer another story.