Hi from a Washingtonian trying to overcome a brown thumb.

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by just_a_penguin, Oct 10, 2007.

1. just_a_penguin

just_a_penguin New Seed

Hello hello.
    I'm not what to say. I'm a recent college grad who just got a job teaching at a technical high school in Tacoma, WA. I've only got three belabored but loved plants at the moment: a healthy rosemary, a dying basil, and a sick mint. I've never kept more than one plant alive at a time before, so three seems intimidating.
    But I have ambitions of being an accomplished gardener someday. My mom and grandma are both fantastic, and I'm trying to nurture that garden gene. Right now I'm mostly interested in herbs for food and medicine. But someday, when I have a yard of my own, I want to plant flowers and stuff too.
    I found this site while trying to find out what's wrong with my mint plant. Everything I find online says that mint is indestructible, but I'm barely keeping mine alive. I'll post a question about that in a more appropriate forum.
    Oh, I tend to talk a lot if that's not evident already.
    At 22, I'm the only person I know in my age group that doesn't have a myspace page and isn't active in any online communities. I'm hoping I'll become somewhat active in this one (though I refuse to get a myspace page on principle)
    What else about me?... Well, I'm learning Italian on my own right now and I hope to move to Italy in the next 5-10 years. If anyone wants a e-pen-pal to practice Italian with, I'm interested.
    This looks like a really long post, so I'll shut up now.
    :stew1:

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Just_a_penguin, welcome to the Stew from north Texas. Okay, you really have to go to this topic
    http://www.gardenstew.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
    and explain where your screen name comes from :stew1:

From what I hear you are far better off not having a My Space page. You can start your blog here with stories about your plants, family, teaching experiences, etc.

4. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Hiya penguin! So have you visited the ones at Point Defiance Zoo yet? Stinky, but oh-so-cute :stew2: Wow, I'll have to go hunt up your mint post, I've never heard of it being a problem. Basil is, alas, an annual around here- I'm trying to overwinter one on my windowsill so we'll see.
    I'm a middle-age nontechie and determined to stay so :stew1:

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi just_a_penguin and welcome aboard the good ship GardenStew. If you have the gardening gene you needn't worry about turning that brown thumb to green. It would probably happen by osmosis before you know it.

Don't miss our blogs, member map and calendar.

// Frank

Advertisement
  6. petunia

petunia Young Pine

hello penquin. I'm unterested herbs also but cannot figure out why your peppermint and basil are not doing fine.
    I also have basil in my herb garden but that seems to be doing good too. But you might be able to help me figure out why I'm having trouble with rosemary.
    I had a plant for a year and it died. I have tried growing it from seed-no luck.
    Whats the secret to rosemary? Welcome to our forums.

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Hello, and a warm welcome from Norway! I'm sure you will like this community.

8. redrose

redrose Seedling

Hello from Michigan and glad to have you with us. There are plenty of us here that could ramble on forever if you'd let us, so I'm sure you'll fit right in!

9. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

[​IMG]
    It's great to meet you, penguin! :D

10. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there from West Lothian in Scotland. Lovely to have you here at The Stew with us. :stew1: I had a friend who married an Italian chap, how I wish she'd kept in touch as she spoke fluent Italian. Hope you don't find it too difficult a language to learn.

11. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Welcome Penguin... yes please tell us how you chose your screen name. I am from East Texas... and I know you will fit right in. We all love to talk and talk and talk!!

12. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hello just_a_penguin :wave:
    Welcome to the stew from southern Ontario!
    We are a chatty bunch here so you'll fit in just fine :setf_023: