Hi From St. Louis, Missouri

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Weedscaper, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Weedscaper

Weedscaper New Seed

Hello all,

I look forward to learning the answers to some of my questions about trees, shrubs, flowers, grasses, and ...... weeds!

In fact, weeds are a distinct point of interest to me. I chose my username Weedscaper because I always at least consider letting them grow. I've had some interesting results over the years from the "volunteers" in the yard. This year, two in particular have given me much pleasure. One is this hearty broad-leafed weed. It sprang up in June near the bird bath.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Weedscaper's Garden )

A friend thinks it may be a relative to corn. The tiny black ants love these plants, but aren't on them lately. I transplanted a few into the brick garden, and I put some in a pot.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Weedscaper's Garden )

[​IMG]
    I neglected to water this weed for several days. ( photo / image / picture from Weedscaper's Garden )

The other weed which has done so nicely you can see below between the yellow leafed butterfly bush and the lush vine which inhabits the fence. It is over five feet high, salted with a zillion tiny white flowers, and just happens to have placed itself in the center of the brick box, which has bulbs planted in it. Those flowers are spent, so why not let it grow?

[​IMG]
    A stand of weeds between the butterfly bush and the vine on the fence. ( photo / image / picture from Weedscaper's Garden )

The stems, leaves, and size of this weed closely resemble a store-bought plant which I have in the brick garden named Henry Eiler's Plant.

[​IMG]
    Henry Eiler's Plant - much shorter this year due to the vine taking the sun. ( photo / image / picture from Weedscaper's Garden )

I look forward to getting tips and suggestions from anyone and everyone. I've read over some of the forum threads, and the members here seem very knowledgeable and helpful. That's why I decided to join.

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Hi from SE Texas. Glad you decided to join us. Love your username... and your pretty weeds.
    I have left a few volunteers grow also. As long as they are pretty and don't have stickers... why not, right?
    That corn-looking plant I've seen sprout up around my bird feeders... so maybe that's where your's came from too.

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

"A weed is just a plant in the wrong place."
    Welcome to GardenStew Weedscaper! I think it's great that you give the weeds a chance. Never thought I would say that but it will be great to read about your adventures!

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there weedscraper. Love your avatar and your user name. :-D I have a wildflower section in my garden that most folks would call a weed patch. The bees and hoverflies love them all so they're keepers. I look forward to getting to know you.

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Welcome Weedscaper. Well, You've jumped in with 2 feet. Nice.

7. Weedscaper

Weedscaper New Seed

Four, I think, waretrop. Thank you for your warm welcomes.

I joined the site about four hours ago and I have already made a discovery - I'm pretty sure - thanks to none other than super model Cherylad.

In the picture I posted which shows a bird bath, it's hard to see, but there's a thin black post. It is holding up a bird feeder. I'm now certain I know the source of these fun plants. The plant very much resembles Proso Millet.

identified here as White Proso.

I've already gotten my money's worth here at gardenstew. Now if only Cherylad would kiss me I'd turn into a prince. (I ask too much I'm sure.)

I sorted through my sack of birdseed. Can't tell which are the millet seeds. If only I could tell which they were. I could plant these things in everyone's yard in the neighborhood.

8. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hi Weedscaper, welcome to GardenStew from Chelmsford MA. I have noticed that as everything else turns yellow or brown the weeds remain green. Keeping weeds does have its advantages. I know where to go if I need a weed identified. :) Welcome aboard.

Jerry

9. cherylad

I had to find something to keep me busy since Charlie's Angels went off the air. So this super model decided to play in the dirt.
    Okay.... let's see if this works or not. :kiss:
    So.... Frog or prince? :D

10. Weedscaper

Weedscaper New Seed

Ribit. (gotcha!)

But thank you very much for the info! I never woulda thunk it: something can actually grow from bird seed.

Astounding.

11. donm

donm In Flower

Hi and welcome from PA.

12. sgmgarden

sgmgarden In Flower

Hi there Weedscaper and welcome to the forum from sunny Scotland! I'm looking forward to you sharing your gardening experiences with us all. It'll be good to see things from your perspective, especially with your views on weeds! Welcome again :)

13. Weedscaper

Weedscaper New Seed

Thank you sgmgarden & donm, very kind of you to welcome me to this fine site.

I have always found supermodels inspiring, so here's what I've done:

I have sorted through the birdseed. I'm surprised at the lack of variability in the mix (but what do I know? I misspelled the word "ribbit" earlier). Anyhow, the birds love it and it contains:

1) busted up corn
    2) Sunflower seeds
    3) tiny white seeds round - under 3mm
    4) brown tear drop shaped seeds - 5mm
    5) brown round seeds - 4mm
    6) dirty white round seeds, varying size - 4mm to 3mm

I've collected some of each type and have planted them in four different containers. If anything happens, I'll post the results on another thread. I'm aware that some seeds need to go through a winter before they germinate.

I do have a grass spreader, and I'm considering just going around the neighborhood. I'll tell everyone: "I'm on a mission from Cherylad." It'll be great!

Frank likes this.
  14. cherylad

Looking forward to your bird seed experiment results.
    I find that if you want a weed to grow, it won't. ;)

15. Landmark Landscapes

Landmark Landscapes New Seed

Love your toad avatar. Welcome!

16. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Now I know how to get that pretty grassy corn without spending a bundle. HD had large pots of it on sale this weekend.

I grow a few natives and it is surprising how many are considered weeds in their home territory. :D

Welcome to the Stew