HI! I'm new here from the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Perdita Shaylee, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Perdita Shaylee

Perdita Shaylee New Seed

I live on a small farm and I grow vegtables and greens organically. I am interested in growing mushrooms too but I don't have a clue how or where to start. I have a great place to grow them but just starting out with my greens and can't spend alot of money on buying spores either. I wonder if I can grow my own spores????? See, I'm really clueless. I have a dark humid barn full of rotted sheep manure. I'm also afraid a wild one could get mixed up with the domestic ones and kill someone, LIKE ME!!! The litature I have seen say's to grow on old logs but i'm sure there is a way to grow right in the compost. If anyone can help please let me know. I've been reading this forum and seems like a lot of very smart people here and think I will enjoy getting to know you all.I like digging wild flowers and trading seeds and tinkering around with old junk too, I really like old garden tools and never buy any new.SO... HI! again to you all!!!!! Perdi

2. Loading...

3. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

Welcome Perdi! I am from Illinois. I don't know anything about mushroons except those I buy in the store but I am sure someone here can help you. Wannabe

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Welcome Perdi, nice to see you made it! I would start a new topic on mushrooms to get the maximum input from all of the members in case it gets lost in among all of the welcomes here ;)

You will fit right in here :) Have you checked out our Garden Junk forum?

Feel free add yourself to our member map and add your birthday/anniversaries to our calendar as well.

5. Perdita Shaylee

Perdita Shaylee New Seed

Thanks for the welcome Wannabe, maybe you can learn how to grow them too! I think alot of people are afraid because you hear so much about the poison ones but they are so good and very expensive to buy. I know some in the woods are good to eat too BUT I'm too scared i'll get the wrong one and don't think you get to make but one mistake with poison mushrooms. Thanks again, Perdi

Advertisement
  6. Perdita Shaylee

Perdita Shaylee New Seed

Thanks,GH,Gnome, I"ll check out G junk when I get back from town. Can you trade seeds from different countrys??? How about wild flowers? I have some seed from some real pretty ones. I'd love to trade for any heirloom or unusual green or lettuce seed. I guess I'm kinda new to this and have alot to learn. Thanks!

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

As far as I know Perdita there are strict restrictions on trading seeds to and from countries outside the US so you may be limited to trading with members from within the States.

Check out our Plant and Seed Exchange forum for ideas.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

[​IMG] Perdita from Scotland!!!!

I'll post some info for you about growing mushrooms in the fruit and veggie forum.

Sooooooo glad you've joined us. :D

9. Perdita Shaylee

Perdita Shaylee New Seed

Thanks Eileen! Do you grow them yourself? Perdi

10. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have grown them myself Perdita but only from shop bought organic kits I'm afraid. :(

11. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

Hello perdi from down south Louisiana you should fit right in here

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Welcome Perdita to Garden Stew glad you could join us.
    I work at Monterey Mushroom Plant here in Madisonville.I would never try to grow mushrooms myself .It takes really good compost and a controled enviroment plus they release spores when they open and some release more than others but they can be breathed into the lungs and cause a fungus to grow in the lungs .Lots of people use resperators to work around them .My lungs are bad anyway so I would never work around where they grow.My son can not work where they grow .I work at the Guard Shack outside.

13. Perdita Shaylee

Perdita Shaylee New Seed

I can't help but wonder if I bought just a kit and just left them alone would nature not take it's corse and they just start growing natually??? Maybe spread them around a bit then leave them to mature and grow spores. I'm sure I'll have to protect them from mice and such. Well I'll read some more on what you posted in veg.. I took a quick peek and looks like it will help alot and it will be a long cold winter and surely I will have it all figured out by spring. I need to go to town a pick up supplys and just out of curiosity will check with the post office too and see what they have on shipping seeds out of the country. I know certified companys can and I'm thinking that is the only ones. Thanks, Perdi

14. southern bell

southern bell Seedling

Hi Perdi, I'm a newbie too but wanted to welcome you also. I'm from SC. One of my friends from NC has joined too. Greasy Bean is around here somewhere. You may have some things in common as you're both from the same state. Again welcome and I hope you find some help with the mushrooms I don't know anything about how to grow em, just know how to cook and eat them.

15. Perdita Shaylee

Perdita Shaylee New Seed

HI!Southern Belle! WOW! I was just fixen to say something to you, I was looking at your dog pictures! Pretty dogs to,they sure look healthy. Glad that you are not so far away, maybe we can do some trading. I just love trading because I can share what I have and not have to spend so much on stuff I want and sometimes I want just more than I can afford. Do you grow a lettuce patch? I can send you some seeds,a little gourmet mix I make myself. Just let me know. Thanks for the welcome, I see your new too so I"ll use this occasion to also welcome you! Perdi

16. Perdita Shaylee

Perdita Shaylee New Seed

Hi Richard, cute dog! I bet it is hot down there right now. Glendann, thanks for the info. I have really good compost but maybe I don't want to grow mushrooms after all, as far as I know my lungs are good and I'd really like to keep them that way. I am glad I joined GS, you just may have saved me alot of grief. Thanks! Perdi