Hi there

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Grimalkin, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Grimalkin

Grimalkin New Seed

I've just joined and it looks like a really good site! I live on a small farm in the middle of nowhere. I breed ducks, peafowl, rheas, chickens, guinea fowl, turkeys, ornamental pheasants and geese. They all love to peck at my precious plants and dig them up, so it's a constant battle ground here...I also have 3 dogs, 5 cats, fire salamanders, tree frogs and some lovely fat warty green toads. My long-suffering partner is called Andy (he knows nothing about plants and gets a very dazed look on his face when I start spouting latin names at him...), and I have a 10 year old son called Dylan. I teach Dylan at home, which is fun, though he's not into gardening either. I am also an enthusiastic but very amateur entomologist. So that's me! :D

2. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Phewww that's quite a lot of information to take in. Have you just listed the entire contents of Noah's Ark just now? :D :D

I really hope you enjoy the site Grimalkin! It looks like you will fit right in here. Hope you get to meet everyone real soon ;)

3. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

Hi and welcome! I am in Ohio in the USA. After spending 22 years in the US Navy, I came back to live near my home town. I am medically retired now and spend most of my time reading and on the computer when the weather is bad. When it's nice I am usually outside. When I got ready to retire, I put an anchor over my shoulder and started to travel. When I got to a place where some one asked me, " What is that on your shoulder?" I decided to stay! :D

4. i love bugs

i love bugs The Weatherman of Craggy Island

Hi Grimalkin , You will see by my name that i love bugs 8) entomology rules O k . Ive been a gardener 35 years and spent the first 15 years killing bugs of one kind or another. Then I read Rachael Carsons book. The Silent Spring and it changed my life, for the past 20 years I have been championing the cause of in :smt038 sects. Live and let live, Bugs
    Welcome to gardenstew ;)

Advertisement
  5. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Hi there!

Im in The USA. At the moment in Fl but soon in Lafayette. LA. Your zoo sounds alittle like mine! I have three dogs, two cats, one snake and one hubby! :D They keep me busy!

Hope to see you around!

6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi from me too. :D

I'm from Scotland too!!!! :smt023 Which part are you from? I'm from Livingston Village in West Lothian and have a large organic garden which was developed with wildlife in mind.

Have you seen the Blog facility we have here? It's FREE!!! Great place to store all your info and piccies.

How about some piccies of your menagerie? I'm sure we'd all love to see them and maybe a piccie of you too please? :smt052

Nice to have you join us here at GardenStew and hope you have lots of fun reading the posts and contributing some of your own. :)

7. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I had chickens, ducks, geese,goats, dogs and cats at my last place. Now, I only have our dog, Chance. I have a garden and am trying to start a herb garden. The only two bugs I don't care about are earwigs and scorpions. I can get along just fine without them. The earwigs ate my garden last year. Scorpions sting. dooley

8. Grimalkin

Grimalkin New Seed

Hey Eileen. I live in Aberdeenshire. It's great here, I'm surrounded by forest, full of ferns and weird fungi. Really magical.Scottish people are so friendly. I'm from Ireland, but lived in Newcastle for a while (and hated it!). I'll try to post some pics, but I'm rubbish at computer and internet type things so give me a while to figure out how to....
    BUGS RULE!!!! :smt023

9. eileen

Looking forward to you getting to grips with 'modern technology' then and seeing some of your piccies. I use photobucket to upload my photographs. I find it easy to use and 'idiot proof' - it has to be for me to use it!!!! :rolleyes: We're in Aberdeenshire quite a lot as my husband's business takes him there. Who knows we might be able to meet up for a cuppa sometime eh?

10. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Where are you from in Ireland Grimalkin? I'm from Galway myself.

You know if you and Eileen meet for a cuppa that will be a historic event... the first GardenStew.com arranged member meet up! :D

11. Grimalkin

Grimalkin New Seed

I came from a liitle rural place quite near the Giant's Causeway, loved it there! I would love to meet up Eileen. You could see what a mess my garden is! When I moved here the garden area was so prissy, all square lawn areas and tiny little neat borders with pink flowers. I'm trying to make it look more unusual, ie. a right mess, it's the hard landscaping that gets me. I have loads of notebooks full of ideas, most of which are impossible to do, especially when you're a klutz like me....I want a waterfall, a grotto...my hubby keeps saying I'll be asking him to build the Taj Mahal next! I try to do everything organc, but have resorted to weed killer a few times on nasty things, like the invasion of creeping thistle in the polytunnel. I tried digging them out first but just spread bits of root around, so the next year I couldn't grow anything in there at all. I've been looking into permaculture recently, really interesting. Yet another project for the future....

12. eileen

We're half way through our pond project at the moment G. We've finished the 10' pond and built the waterfall but still have to finish off the mound and plant it up.
    If you want to see what it looks like at the moment then take a look at my blog under 'Pond Project.' Our garden is completely organic and I find that nature manages to deal with most pests and diseases all on it's own now - apart from a neighbours %$&^%%%$^ bindweed that is!!! :x