Hibiscus Help....

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Richie Cooper, Jul 28, 2024.

1. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Hello Everyone,
    I bought a Hibiscus plant a few months ago, it was only a foot tall and about 5 inches wide. It is now almost 4 foot tall and turned into a big bush. The flowers are 10 inches wide and BEAUTIFUL. My problem is that the beetles are destroying all the leaves. I have used some Dawn dish soap and water mixed, did not help. I was told to use Neem oil and that too did not help. Does anyone here know what will stop those darn things!!! They are destroying the plant.
    Thank you very much for any help.

Pacnorwest and Oreti like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Oreti, Sjoerd and S-H like this.
  4. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Pacnorwest,
    THANK you VERY much for the reply. I read the attachment and will do as it said.
    Thanks again.

Oreti and Pacnorwest like this.
  5. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Sprinkle boric acid around the plant. It's not toxic nor harmful to any pets, (common table salt is more toxic in comparison). But for all crawling insects, it's like dropping a nuke on them.

Neem oil is actually the best. However it doesn't kill instantly. It plays havoc with the biological clock of the insects. So they forget to eat, as they think they had just eaten, and so eventually die due to starvation, (without even realizing). Or they forget to procreate, and so the next generation of insects doesn't arrive on time. So that's how Neem oil removes pests, it's action is slow and very soft.

Boric acid simply gets into the exoskeleton of the insects, and then ruins them and their joints from inside very quickly. Think of it like boric acid is to insects, what destruction of the Death Star was to Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2024
    Oreti likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Oreti likes this.
  7. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

S-H,
    Thank you too for the reply. I will also try your ideas. These beetles are driving me crazy; they have MANY of the big leaves all chewed up!!
    Thanks again for your help.

Oreti and S-H like this.
  8. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

One more idea is to use baking soda powder, (sodium bicarbonate). It works very well on ants. So I'm sure beetles also won't like it.

Another remedy is to apply powered lime, (calcium oxides and hydroxides), or chalk, (powdered sedimentary carbonate rock), in much the same way as boric acid... When this gets into the exoskeleton of insects like beetles, it destroys them from within - For us it's the equal of being made to walk barefooted over broken glass.

My next suggestion is to paint the lower stem of your hibiscus white, (if it has become woody). As insects like beetles now won't like to climb up it. As it won't feel like a natural surface to them.

Final remedy is biological pest control, but here you need to be very careful about the creatures you'll be introducing. As they might cause a headache of a different type later down the line. Like if you introduced Praying Mantis into your garden to take care of the beetles. What will the Mantis population do after the beetles are taken care of?

However carnivorous plants are a good way of keeping in check the beetle population.

Oreti likes this.
  9. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

All you people are just AWSOME!! This is all great information. Thank you all.

Pacnorwest, S-H and Oreti like this.
  10. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

You're welcome! I now have just one request. Which is that whenever your hibiscus fully recovers and is in full bloom - Not right now, but later. Just post a picture of it here in this thread, (whenever it happens). So we can all appreciate and admire how it has fought back.

Lots of people come seeking assistance for a problem. And so we are happy to indulge in some collective brainstorming, thus everyone here often does come up with a practical solution that works - So seeing a picture of the plant after it has recovered, will be a most beautiful reward for all.

But not only that, it'll function as both motivation and guide for someone else in the future - Who might also be facing a similar problem. And so finds this thread through search engines.

:stew1:

11. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

S-H,
    I will get a picture posted as soon as possible. I do not use a cell phone and do not use the computer much, but my wife will help me get a picture posted.
    Thanks again for your help.

S-H likes this.
  12. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Hello Again,
    I finally got to post a picture of my Hibiscus, sorry it took so long.
    As I said in my earlier post, I do not have a cell phone and do not use the computer much. So, my wife did the picture for me. I am 79 and do not want to have anything to do with computers!!
    Anyway, in the picture you cannot see all the holes in the leaves. But, I think the Neem Oil I am using is starting to help.
    Once again, Thank You all for all your help.

Attached Files:

S-H likes this.
  13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

@Richie Cooper Oh wow beautiful flowers , nice pic. That hibiscus reminds me of ‘Midnight Marvel’ or a relative.
    It looks really good. Pest free now?

S-H likes this.
  14. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Yes, looks like it is recovering very nicely. Without the beetles it will now become an even more beautiful plant by this time next year.