Hollyhocks starting to bloom

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by dooley, Jun 5, 2006.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

The hollyhocks which we didn't plant are starting to bloom. There are different ones all over the property.These are red ones in the garden and pink ones at the side of the house. There are also dark wine colored ones too and white and lavender. They grow wild all over town. Dooley

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

That's quite a nice addition from something you didn't plan to have Dooley. If only all unexpected visitors were as pretty {sigh} :(

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

OO I'm impressed Dooley. Your hollyhocks are beautiful. :-D Hey, I've just noticed you've got owls on your T.shirt - my favourite birds!!! I'm in the process of sketching a barn owl at the moment. :)

5. dooley

A favorite shirt of mine. I will hate when the time comes to retire it. I'm hoping it will last a few more years. I've had it almost 20 years. I paid quite a lot for it at the time. It just gets thinner and thinner. One of these days it will disappear altogether. Hope I'm not wearing it when it does. Dooley

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

You crack me up dooley :smt082

7. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

So tall and so pretty - I planted some but they never came up... no idea why... They come up wild there? Cool!

I like your owl shirt too. 8)

8. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

How lucky, I wish I had volunteer flowers that pretty. Sigh. I like the owl shirt too. The best shirts are always those that are wearing thin.

9. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

I have tried to plant hollyhocks for many years now and they never grow. When should I sow the seeds in the fall or in the spring? Your hollyhocks are beautiful Dooley!! I'm also fond of the owl shirt!!!

10. dooley

I think they should be planted in fall. If you plant them in spring they won't bloom the first year. I'm not sure why. It's a prennial thing, I think. But, I don't plant mine. That's why they are in the middle of places where I don't want them to be. But, I have such trouble getting things to grow, what with bugs, etc. that I don't pull them out. Besides DR and I both like them. I remember them from when I was a little girl and my grandma taught us to make dolls with clothespins and hollyhock flowers for skirts. Dooley

11. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Thanks for the information Dooley!! I will try again this fall. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me! What a sweet memory of your grandma and hollyhocks!

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Dooley they are very pretty.I love all the colors but the lilac is so pretty.I love owls because my Mom collected them and I have alot of hers.

13. subajama

subajama New Seed

Love your Hollyhocks, Dooley. Mine are doing ok. I just wanted to know if I should cut the stalks down when they're done blooming or should I leave them. When does the seeding take place for next spring? Help!!!!!

14. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

Holly hocks are one of myhusbands favorties because they were always along the barn at his grandparents. We have had various colors - this year only pink and they seem to pop up in places I would rather they didn't. But I leave them alone for my husband.