Home Downsizing

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by KK Ng, Aug 9, 2013.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

A month or so ago we thought of downsizing our home since all children are now working either in other states or in another country. We felt our current home is too large for the both us but the decision to downsize was not easy. So with reluctance we thought of a plan to help us decide.

We decide not to make use of a realtor and price the house above the market price and only to sell at the price we wanted. We put up an advertisement in the local web-site where people sell new and pre-loved items something like e-bay. We were quite happy about our decision maybe because we thought there would be no takers. Our very good neighbor had put up their house for sale through a realtor more than a year ago and till today it is still not sold even though it is priced much lower.

To our surprise we had a couple of enquires and an offer was made which we had to accept because it was our asking price. We had mixed feeling initially and finding it a little difficult to accept that we had to move.

It was very stressful not knowing where we are going to live next because we had not exactly made any plans. For a couple of weeks we were very busy house hunting until about a week ago when we found this beautiful semi-detached house. We need to make some renovation to the house to meet with our requirements and I am now very busy doing the design.

We have not move yet because the process of buying or selling a house here normally takes about 3 months.

Right now I am really stressed out because of the this, the that, the how and the when!!! I guess the most difficult part is getting a trustworthy contractor to do the renovation work.

Now we are happy with what we had done because it is for the better. :-D ..... I am still stressed!!! I guess my mind will only be relaxed after moving and getting my new mini-farm going. :D

2. Loading...

3. sgmgarden

sgmgarden In Flower

All the stress will be worth it in the end! Good luck in your new home :)

4. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Wow ,good luck and congratulations, the important thing really is 'what is the garden like?'

5. sgmgarden

sgmgarden In Flower

Also be sure to post some pictures when you're all finished :)

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

That's a surprise KK! I loved your previous house and I can see why someone would snap it up.
    I understand that it would be too large for just two people now. One advantage about moving, new garden to play with!
    Wishing you and Rebecca the best of luck with your move. It will be for the best!

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You may be stressed now KK but I'm sure once the papers are all signed and sealed you'll begin to get excited.
    Moving house isn't easy but it's going to be a whole new chapter in your lives.
    Good luck and congratulations!!

8. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Well I'm happy that KK is happy! And of course, the idea of starting a new garden means we'll get to see more pictures and blogs from KK!!! :)

However if it was up to me - The only thing that will ever make me move out from my fortification, is if I finally get what I want over here:

http://www.privateislandsonline.com/

But alas, up till now, nothing that matches my style and personality, nor suits my taste... Anybody remember that old James Bond movie Dr. No? Yeah, I'm actually looking for an island like that - Where I can have a whole lagoon full of sharks with laser beams attached! :D

9. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

KK, It's a life journey. Get married, home, children, get them 'growd' up, make world smaller but save space for the grand kids. Don't forget that.

Look forward to the new home, garden and getting settled again. Good luck and enjoy the experience.

10. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Glad for you. many of my customer's have down sized. A couple was huge. And so many steps. I helped couple move. Many rolls of bubble wrap.

11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi KK--I think congratulations are in order, (although I do understand your stress)! Once you are in your new digs, all will be well. Are your kids available to help with the move?

I look forward to seeing pix of your new mini-farm.

12. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Congrats KK! Glad you were able to find a place you really like. Now you have no excuse not to clean out that garage! :D

13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

KK, you made the right decision at the right time and in the right way. You'll love planning and planting your new gardens, and the new home will fit you and your wife perfectly.
    You can take seeds and cuttings with you, you know.

14. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

oooooh S-H! Now I know what to save my money for! LOL

Congrats KK :) Just breathe deep and imagine the fun you can have with a new garden!

15. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Downsizing is a lot of work. What to keep, what to sell, what to just toss! But, a new place is a joy, too. You can do so many things with it to make it suit you and your wife. Just keep your chin above the water and things will come about in a shorter time than you think it can be done.

dooley

16. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Good luck to you both as you face this new chapter in your life. You will make the new place into the
    Kastle de KK in no time.