Hostas Have Become More Affordable

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Jewell, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    This spring I was surprised to see hostas at an affordable price with varieties that survive our voracious slugs and their appetite for hostas. I have been wanting a couple of hosta for years, but the hardier ones were always way too expensive ($15+). The tender varieties hostas I've tried never survived our slug infested spring.

Plant suppliers provided these to the big box stores and I am doing a happy dance. Can't wait to see these expand and become the beauties that I know they will become. The flowers are just another added bonus to an already wonderful shade plant.

[​IMG]
    Blue Vision Hosta ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Unknown hosta ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Another unknown hosta with wonderful big blue leaves ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Blue hosta's flowers..nice ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

The second picture is Patriot. That is a nice one I have it also.

Barb in Pa.

SongofJoy57 likes this.
  4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I too am having a love affair with hostas :p I didn't think they would survive our cold winter down here but 4 of them came back beautifully for me!!! I would Love Love Love to find some of the minis and plant them up in a big pot. :-D My little old neighbor lady sent over 2 big chunks that she dug up. I hope I planted them right, they don't look too hot right now :-?

5. Jewell

Thanks Barb! It is always nice to give the plants a name.

SM, they do seem to be hardy. I think they look grat potted up, I just have to remember to water :rolleyes: It is fun to see all the different varieties.

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

Wonder if what I have in minis would live by you. I will go out and see what I can divide this evening.

Barb in Pa.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I have Hosta fever too! I bought a few minis this year, as well as a few others. I think I counted 25 different varieties in my gardens - a far cry from the thousands of varieties available now. But give me some time ;)

8. waretrop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what I have that I can divide. You would have to really really baby them till they get established. I would hate for them to die. I would have to see which one would be good for you.

I have to figure out what the names are for the squirrels keep taking out all my labels. Oregon and Southern Ontario. What zones are you in?

Barb in Pa.

9. Jewell

Those are lovely Barb. Do you have more pictures of your gems?

10. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Lovely hostas!

11. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Looks like you had a good rain there Barb (sigh) Nice mini's :)

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jewell, Have you attended any farmers markets? there are often people who sell plants there. We have one who sells ONLY hostas and daylilies. The last one I got was called Guacamole and was 10.00.and I thought that was a little high for a farmers market, but I will grow it, divide it and sell some in a couple of years, because they do need dividing eventually. I have the Sum and Substance and I bought it from him several years ago and I divided this year and have it potted up and ready to sell now. It is beautiful. (So, the investment isn't too huge if you want to put a few in pots and sell them from your driveway, if there aren't any restrictions on doing so, where you live). or divide them and have a plant swap with your friends. You can get all kinds of interesting things that way.

Barb your's look nice. I would recommend not dividing them until in the Fall or spring, though. They are not the easiest of plants to divide when they are in full growth, unless they are in a pot already. They may not survive the stress at this time of the year. Is it HOT and DRY there? I wouldn't even think of it now, here :'( hot dry, hot dry, hot dry...that is the only forecast we have right now. and the potential for an entire crop loss for the state... it is looking bad. and we look better than western Ohio at this point. Illinois and Indiana are a disaster. no rain all Summer long and they are mowing off their fields, IF there is anything to mow.

Jewell likes this.
  13. waretrop

carolyn keiper, I have Guacamole and Sum and Substance also. We must have some of the same interests in Hostas.

I have split these plants in this heat but was very careful. The reason is that people let me take some of theirs and I get while the gettings good for I have missed out in the past. I just hate to miss out on plants that I love.

When I do this, I place them in a pot near a shaded foundation and water many times a day. Usually that's a small job as it's only a small pot. I usually leave a watering can next to it. These Hosta are only 1 and 2 inches tall. I have done this while in bloom and they don't wilt or loose a itty bitty flower. I agree it's not a good practice but it works.

Barb in Pa.

Jewell likes this.
  14. Jewell

Darn they had one more at the grocery store last night. Loved the leathery blue and soft cream-green edges.

[​IMG]
    Hosta "Francis Williams" ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

stratsmom likes this.
  15. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

You go girl!!! :p

16. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Sad to see in Town people's Hosta and not been watering them. I don't have a lot got to clip off sun scald spots. And don't know all their names. Got most of them at plant swap at Morse Iowa few years ago.