How come my clematis is a different color this year?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Tina, May 27, 2014.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I bought this clematis from a garage sale last year. It bloomed after I got it and it looked like a Nelly Moser. This year the flowers are blue and doesn't look like a Nelly Moser anymore. It is still in the same container I bought it in and I didn't even add any new soil. Is this normal? What kind of clematis is this?

Clematis last year :

[​IMG]
    Garage sale clematis ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

Same clematis this year:

[​IMG]
    Clematis ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Doghouse Riley
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Cayuga Morning
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That is difficult to say, Tina. There are a number of different factors that can play a role. It could be any one of them or a combination.

Some reasons. Location, soil and it's mineral content and pH, varying light conditions, varying water conditions. Too little feeding or watering, or the temperature of the roots.

I am sorry that I cannot be specific. BTW--is there any chance that you could have two clems in one pot? That would be interesting, wouldn't it!

I have had a similar experience, buying a clem that was light sky blue at the garden centre and the following year (after planting in my garden) it bloomed a totally different colour blue-purple with a hint of reddish to it. I reasoned that it was my soil.

We know that soil pH and chemical elements that exist in soils can effect the colour of say, hydrangeas for instance.

You have an interesting problem there. I'll bet that if you search the internet, there will be others with this same incident.

4. Tina

Tina Young Pine

The location and sun exposure could be the reasons. With the move, I didn't have time to change the soil or feed the plant, so ruling that out. Thanks for your response, Sjoerd. I will go searching that the net now.