How Much For A Professional Garden Design Plan ?

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by azw1879, Oct 7, 2006.

1. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

I've been struggling for ages trying to imagine a garden design for my own garden (only on paper not practically) but I can't get started. Ideas aplenty, but nothing solid.

As mentioned before, I'd like it to have an Anglo-Zulu War 1879 theme, with other aspects incorporated into it, patio area, giant garden chess, water feature, etc.

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to have a professional garden designer design a detailed garden of this type, in order for me to have a high-quality plan on paper, which I may pursue on a practical basis myself sometime in the future ?

Basically, this would allow me to see what potential my garden would have for a themed design such as this. As I say, only the drawn plan, nothing practical, as in, the actual physical work in the garden, just a professionally detailed reference plan(s).

C.J.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Frank has a brother who is a garden designer and may well be along in a while. He will be able to give you a rough idea of how much it's likely to cost to design your garden in the way you want.

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

As far as I know C.J it varies a lot from garden to garden. Each plan will differ greatly from the last. I have passed the link to this topic along to my brother. He is pretty busy at the moment so I hope he will find the time soon to pop in :)

5. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

A landscape architect is the only person who can sell a plan. A landscape contractor can sketch out something to show you what s/he is going to do, but cannot sell you a set of plans. Here in New Orleans, a person can plan on paying $800 to $3000.00 for a set of plans depending on the extent of the work.

Anglo-Zulu War 1879 theme????? Really. I know we are ethnocentric here in the US, but I have designed hundreds and hundreds of gardens and never heard of this theme.

Advertisement
  6. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

Thanks for your replies.

The Anglo-Zulu War 1879 is my main interest and I'd like to merge this and my garden together.

Many aspects of the AZW, from wagons to the Zulu attack formation, present many ideas of how to achieve this connection.

As mentioned in a previous topic, I've seen excellent garden chairs with wagon wheel backs and planters made from wooden ammunition boxes. The Zulu attack formation (Horns of the Buffalo) would make a dramatic design for flower beds, the Zulu shield patterns also. A possible fountain with a circular base made of bricks shaped like the mealie bags used in the barricade at Rorke's Drift. There are also fantastic stand-alone monoliths, one of which could represent the mountain at Isandlwana. The many VCs awarded in the 2 most famous engagements could be created in a larger scale using small coloured stones or mosaic. The redcoats of the soldiers represented by roses of the same colour, the army tents at the Isandlwana camp by white roses, etc. Also, the use of African plants which can grow in our climate. Chess being always compared to military strategy, would be added.(Giant Chess version).

These are just ideas, but used to the best effect in a well-thought out and highly-detailed design, would be amazing. Including a patio and other aspects more
    associated with gardens in general, as well as slightly raised and also lowered levels, individual areas, etc.

It is an unusual theme, but unique. I really would like to see a design based on this campaign incorporating some of the elements I've mentioned, and possibly several more. The curiosity is killing me on how it would look, but I'm at a loss where to begin, when considering drawing it myself.

However, if I had a basis to work from, a sort of foundation to build on, giving me ideas on how to 'break up' the garden in order to present the design in the most effective way, well....

Hopefully, I will make a valiant effort to draw a design, but at the moment I'm stuck.

Thanks again

C.J.

7. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

While considering the fact that an Anglo-Zulu War 1879 theme garden may be a bit unusual, I was recently reminded of the Gardener's Challenge on Gardener's World, held every year for the past 2-3 years (I think), where 4-6 individual gardeners each have an identical size plot to create a specific theme. One year it was to be based on a novel, the next year (with different gardeners)a painting. If I remember correctly, the 'Gone With The Wind' theme garden won the Challenge based on novels.

So, I consider my desired theme is based on something 'real' rather than 'artificial'.

C.J.

PS. By the way, what a plus point having a brother who is a garden designer ! If only I had a brother who was trained in such :rolleyes:

8. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Reading through your ideas post above C.j I must say it would be great to see this theme one day realised

That was a particularly good idea ;)

It's great alright C.J. He can offer valuable insights and I have learned a thing or three from him. Check out some of his garden designs here: http://www.gardenplansireland.com/garden-designs.php

9. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Frank, your brother is talented! Lucky you.

10. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

I know the descriptions sound quite odd, but when you see the items mentioned that do exist already, such as the chairs and the Giant Garden Chess, as well as items similar to the other ideas, they would look great if made right and in the right setting.

The designs look brilliant on the site you mentioned. There is something about such plans, the defined areas, shapes, and attention to detail, which are an inspiration for people to be creative with their gardens.

I do have a technical drawing board and graph set, with two A3 drawing pads poised and ready for me to draw something of worth on my chosen theme.

Unfortunately, they remain unused at present as I am at a standstill :(

I know you can get writer's block, but I wonder if you can get design block, with no progress being made :-?

C.J. :)

11. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Design block??? Oh my, can you get design block!! I used to draw the existing bones of the garden that I wanted to leave where they were. Then I would put tracing paper on top of the existing drawing and start playing what if. Sometimes when things really got bad, I would thumbtack a huge piece of butcher paper on the wall and start playing with crayons to find out what colors I wanted or shapes might look good. Design is the toughest part of the job for me.

12. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

Thank goodness for that. I was starting to think that garden design wasn't suited to me :-D

What I can't understand though, I've got all these great ideas, books on garden design and gardening, many AZW books, a drawing board, graph set, most of all I see my garden every day, but can't get it all to work together on paper :rolleyes:

It is most annoying :scheming:

C.J. ;)

13. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Start with the biggest part of the garden, like the chess board....make it lifesized, on the diagonal. Put a fountain dead center....play around.

14. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

I did indeed start with the chessboard, using my Garden Design cd-rom, using dark and light brown colours (as slabs) to make the different squares. Surrounded it on all sides with a border of light grey gravel.

Adjacent to the chessboard area would be a raised extension patio, with seating area and rail allowing players and non-players to view the game in play.

In the corner, beside both chessboard and patio, I would like a 19th Century type water cart, two-wheeled (used in the water cart sortie at Rorke's Drift) somehow connected to the water feed from the house. Therefore, this feature could also be used as a practical aid, being a water reservoir.

So, ideas beginning to come together nicely.

Thanks for the encouragement.

C.J.

15. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Sounds like you are doing a great job. After you get started, let us see pics, please.