how much water do rose seeds need ? and any tips ? thanks

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by steam308, Jun 5, 2013.

1. steam308

steam308 New Seed

there in compost and seed starter mix. half of them (theres 11 5-6) have the compost only on top over the starter mix and the other 6 have starter soil and compost mixed together but the problem is how much do i water them ? i got them in jiffy pots right now

the starter soil was really really fluffy i gues you could say really light and the compost was more rugged i guess there all about and inch to and inch an a half deep in soil

also any tips on how much to water as time goes on i live in salinas california and the wether is more on the windy cold sunny side if that makes sense hahah

also how long do i keep them inside i was thinking that during the day i would take them out side then at night i would bring them in but how long till i can keep them outside premanently?

thanks!

2. Loading...

3. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

I've never grown roses from seed, but all seeds need time to germinate and keeping it moist at all times during this period would be best. But someone with a lot more experience will come along shortly to offer more help. :) I live in Fl where the weather is crazy, I leave my plants outside under the overhang for some protection. But its fine to bring them in until you have sturdy little sprouts. You can always test them then when you get to that point. I have some plants that I bring in during heavy rain still..... :) Good luck and welcome to Garden stew

steam308 likes this.
  4. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Steam,

Rose seed behaves like its a tree seed. It does better if cold stratified outdoors through the cycles of warmth and chill (frost even) while being kept moist. It's not going to germinate till next spring.

Most of them won't anyways.

Drying (or freezing) rose hips only slows this already slow deal down.

5. steam308

steam308 New Seed

so me stratifing them in the fridge wont work and they wont even grow now :(?

6. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

I put rose seed when or where ever i get them, outdoors in a shallow pan. They germinate when they are good and ready.

Keep them moist.