How old are your peonies

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by koszta kid, Dec 5, 2013.

1. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Some of ours are 100 years. Mostly old fashion type. But very pretty. And stand up. Old time gardener said to never cut down until after fall frost. I top feed with compost tea.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Mine are at least 40 years old. They were here when we moved into our cottage so could have been around for years and years before that.

4. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Heh mine are babies still compared to your guys'! My oldest is only about 5 years old or so. 2nd is 3 or 4.

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I have absolutely no idea, but I know that my husband's grandmother moved the Paeonia officinalis with her when the family moved into their new home. That was in the beginning of the 50's, and that Paeonia was already a big, old one when they moved into their old home.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I'm not sure just how old my oldest Peony is. It was given to me from a friend that dug it from her Grandmothers garden. Her grandmother dug it from another garden over 60 years ago! I also have a piece of my own mothers Peony that she got back in 1961 when her house was built. They are 2 of my favorite plants in my garden :)

7. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I wanted to buy some of the new colors-bright red. But have not. When my flowers got sprayed from Farmer next door. He didn't do it. A company he hired. Thought I had lost some. But called right people-even had DNR here . Cost them dearly. And one of our Viszla was with pups. Lost them. All spoken for. Owner of company had to tell WHY. To his friend our vet. He was on list.

8. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

Grandmother's white peony is fifty years old.