How old is your garden?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by jonty, May 9, 2011.

1. jonty

jonty New Seed

I have been looking at the beautiful pictures of everyone's gardens and wondered how long it took you to create your masterpiece.

My apartment pot plant garden is a pretty little baby at three years old.

Looking forward to hearing your story. :-D

Best wishes
    Jonty

Jewell and AAnightowl like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Jonty, we have three vegetable gardens, all of which are four years old; two herb beds, one two years old and the other three; one backyard flower bed that is four years old; one front yard flower bed that is two and the other two beds are three years old.
    Some of the plants in the flower beds are older than the beds. When we moved from town I brought cuttings and starts with me, including several of my favorite roses.
    The orchard area is four years old, but since we are slowly adding trees, some of the area is new this year, and others are two or three years old.
    The asparagus bed is three years old and we harvested quite a bit this year, for the first time. Our gardens are truly a work in progress!

[​IMG]
    Front flower bed ( photo / image / picture from marlingardener's Garden )

[​IMG]
    half of large vegetable garden ( photo / image / picture from marlingardener's Garden )

Philip Nulty and jonty like this.
  4. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I've lived at our current residence 14 years now, but some of the landscape is from when I grew up here as a child, so I know it's at least from back in the 1970's. I've added gardens , ripped them out (transplant most), and been in various stages since then.

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

The lily beds in front of the house have been there since my childhood. Last spring I planted the flower bed in the front yard.
    Some of the plants I've had for years... just didn't live in a place I could plant them. But my garden area was just started this spring! So basically my garden is only a few months old!

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

We planted the first flower bed in 1978, the first plant, a Veronica spicata is still where I planted it 33 years ago.

Jerry

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

My gardens range in age from 1-8 years. I seem to add a new one each year!

8. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

Most of my beds are between 20 and 30 years old. I do have one Mock Orange bush that probably dates back to the early 1800. This land was first recorded at the court house in 1836. The Mock Orange is right near where the original homestead once stood. I know where the basement was. When they put in my septis system, they dug into the original cistern. It was made of brick and was perfectly round and was plastered on the inside. I knew it was there, but had forgotten about it.

9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I moved into my present house in 2004,..there was just grass in the garden back then,..so after 7 years its nearly looking the way i want it.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

jonty likes this.
  10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

The garden was here when we moved here. We've been here 20 years. We still garden in the original garden (and then some).

11. jonty

jonty New Seed

This is just fantastic,thank you for your interesting stories and beautiful gardens, can now look at them with more knowledge as to age in your location, love it! :-D

12. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

13. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We moved here 26 years ago and we didn't have anything that you'd call a garden. :( My daughter (two years old at the time) kept getting 'lost' in the chest high grass and weeds. :rolleyes: There was an old, mouse infested, broken down aviary covered in ivy and not much else. Now after lots of hard work we've created a wildlife friendly, organic garden that looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cherylad, Philip Nulty and jonty like this.
  14. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I started just about 4 years ago and I called it a mini-farm I had no experience and interest at all at that time, just wanted to reduce my cholesterol level because I just hate exercising. Now I can never get enough of it, it is interesting and very rewarding.

Philip Nulty and jonty like this.
  15. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

It's fun to hear everyone's stories! :D
    We moved to our current home in the fall of 2006, so I began gardening in the spring of 2007.
    I had a pretty blank slate to work with, as the previous owner of 40 years must not have wanted any part of gardening. There were just the 7 trees, and some big Yews, all but 3 of those have since been removed. I have been doing a bit each year. I am trying to focus on shrubs to create the backbones, and create privacy...of course I get sidetracked onto all kinds of plants :p It's just so much fun.

16. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We just moved to this place a year ago. It was all woods and the owner just bulldozed an area for the mobile home. We fenced the lot to keep out dogs, deer and other wildlife. I've been cutting roots, digging stumps and trying to get a garden started. I have a small vegetable garden in the back and a yard with small trees for our dog and in the front I've planted some trees and made three flower beds, so far. I, also, have a vegetable area in the front.
    My small garden just keeps getting bigger. I only wanted a small garden. It's dry here and we have to water everything. It takes almost an hour to do it by hand. I don't like to sprinkle stuff.
    dooley