How to get Christmas Cactus to produce roots?

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by einahpets, Jun 17, 2009.

1. einahpets

einahpets New Seed

My husband's aunt recently gave me some shoots from a Christmas cactus that was very special to my husband's grandmother. I desperately want to grow one in her memory, but the shoots won't root. The aunt told me to wrap them in damp paper towels, which I did, but nothing is happening. The shoots are still plenty healthy (it's been a couple of weeks).

Should I try another method to get them to produce roots, and if so, what is the best way?

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. member21145
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. KDK12
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Usually I just stick them about halfway down in a pot of potting soil and they root just fine.

Someone else may have other ways of doing it tho.

4. einahpets

einahpets New Seed

Thanks Toni! I have a few shoots. She gave me some just in case a couple didn't work out. I'll put one in a pot tomorrow and see what happens.

5. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

How is it doing?

Both water and soil have worked really well for me without doing anything special at all. I now have 5 new starts from simply taking the last leaf off and potting it about 1/2 inch into the soil. So far I have not lost a single start putting them in soil. Just remember to water properly and you should be fine.

Advertisement
  6. einahpets

einahpets New Seed

Thanks for asking, fish, but the starts didn't make it. I must have got to them too late. Hubby's aunt said there are some small, established plants still at grandma's house. They're from the original plant that I got my starts from. His aunt said I'm welcome to take one of those, so I think I'm going to do that.

I'm not exactly the world's biggest fan on them... it's just a matter of keeping grandma's memory with us. That was one of her favorite bushes. :)

7. JoyfulC

JoyfulC New Seed

Sometimes they can take a long time. A friend gave me three cuttings, and I wasn't having any luck getting them to root or grow new. In fact, unfortunately, my friend died some months later! For that reason, I couldn't bring myself to stop watering these woeful little cuttings stuck in a pot! Then one day, they just took off. The only thing different was I moved the pot to a sunny south-facing window over a radiator -- the extra light and heat might have played a role. It took nearly a year, though. They didn't die, but they weren't doing anything either during that time.

..Christine..