How to get Plumeria to bloom again?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by WTxDaddy, Sep 8, 2009.

1. WTxDaddy

WTxDaddy In Flower

I bought 2 plumeria last year & put them in pots. They were blooming when I bought them. They overwintered indoors and looked pretty shabby in Spring. They eventually put out nice leaves, but have not bloomed again. They get full sun from sunrise to about noon, then are shaded by a huge mulberry. What do I need to do to get them blooming? I fed them the MiracleGrow stuff - all Summer.

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. TX flowergirl

TX flowergirl New Seed

most of the time it takes a season or two for it to adjust. if there is no rush just give it time and keep doing what your doing

4. WTxDaddy

WTxDaddy In Flower

When I Wintered them, one was in my fraidy hole (Texan for storm shelter) and the other spent the Winter in my wife's science lab at school under a skylight. Both of them dropped their leaves and were just these funky-looking stubs for a while. My wife wanted me to toss them out, saying "They're dead!" But I saw green & what looked like new growth. I was right, but I got no flowers this Summer. I was wanting to see if there was some funkiness to plumeria that required me to give them different chemicals, food or soil.

5. TX flowergirl

TX flowergirl New Seed

it is just what happens with them in our climate. they have to come indoors for the winter and they will always loose the leaves and look like that but we don't live in Hawaii, they are better in more southern climates where there is high humitiy. what you are doing is fine, maybe read up on if it likes more acidic nutrients in the pot or a more specific food but other wise your fine

Advertisement
  6. WTxDaddy

WTxDaddy In Flower

Well it is pretty hot here on the South Plains of West Texas and very, very dry. This is a semi-arid region - and this year, we're 5 inches below normal rainfall!

7. civicboyfl

civicboyfl New Seed

Don't worry! My Plumeria here in SW Florida (zone 10a) haven't started to bloom yet. Last year my first bloom opened on 9/17. Blooming is the last thing this plant does before dropping its leaves and preparing for the winter. In the meantime, make sure that your plumeria has plenty of nutrition.