How to know when to get seeds from sunflowers?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by margie12u, Aug 5, 2009.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Hi All I have a question about sunflowers they were about 13 ft. tall and had a beautiful flower My question is how do you know when it time to get the seeds from them? I'm just not sure. Any help would be appreciated thank you Margie

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic
    moderator's note: moved topic to more appropriate forum

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I always wait to gather my seeds until the head is brownish and all the tiny bits have fallen off the seeds on the head.
    Having said that, if the birds begin to peck the seeds out--do not wait, remove the head and place it in a dry, open paper bag and leave it for a few weeks. when the seeds fall out when you shake the head..harvest them.

**a little tip: If you squeeze a seed gently and it is firm and doesn't collapse--the seed is good. If the seed collapses, it means that there is nothing inside the 'shell'--an un-fertilized seed, then.

4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I never plant sunflowers for seed for myself. The birds always eat them before they are ready. I love watching the cardinals perch on the edge and eat them. dooley

5. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

I wait until the head it all dry and wilted...you can cut the head off and dry it inside as well.