Huge Cosmos and New Beds.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by FlowerFreak22, Nov 6, 2011.

1. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

I planted some Cosmos seeds this spring. The smaller ones bloomed pretty early, but the bigger ones haven't started blooming unitl now. These things are big, at least three of four times the smaller ones. Have any of you ever had cosmos this big and are they normal? The all came from the same seed pack. The orange one was a seed that fell out of the pack while I was planting them and thats where it ended up, so I just let it grow.

[​IMG]
    Big Yellow Cosmos ( photo / image / picture from FlowerFreak22's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Big Orange Cosmos ( photo / image / picture from FlowerFreak22's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, I have been working on these new beds for a while. The whole thing started as a huge area of vines and weeds growing everywhere and all over plants that were already in there. I finally got that whole area clear and started to plant some plants. The bed just had plants and grass growing in it with no clear outline of the bed. I decided to make some beds by pulling up the grass around my plants and covering the area with mulch. So far this is what I have, but I eventually plan to have both beds connected to each other into one huge bed in the middle of my front yard.

[​IMG]
    Bed 1 ( photo / image / picture from FlowerFreak22's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Bed 1 ( photo / image / picture from FlowerFreak22's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Bed 2 ( photo / image / picture from FlowerFreak22's Garden )

Droopy and Jewell like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

There was another topic about an unusually tall Orange Cosmos recently...Bright orange cosmos type flower, over 10 feet tall? that you might find interesting.

How large will the new bed be and what do you plan on planting in it? I am looking forward to seeing progress photos as it is created.

4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I like the big orange one,..interesting shaped beds.

5. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

The new bed will be pretty large, covering about 1/4 of my front yard. I'm not sure what plants are going to be added to it, but the plants that I already have in it are Bergamont, Salvia, Sweet Shrub, Mums, two different Asclepias, large ornamental grass, azalias, anemones, Alliums, Crocus, Daffodils, Iris, Orchid, Blueberry, Butterfly Bush, and Sweetflag. The beds are oddly shapped right now because I made the bed around the plants. I think it gives it a bit of an abstract feel. I really like how bed1 is shapped, but eventually it will be part of one giant bed. I like the way they are so oddly shapped now so I'm thinking that I might use that idea for some other beds.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I love the shapes of the beds! It gives them a nice easy-flowing feel. Sure is going to be beautiful!
    And this must the year of the giant cosmos! :-D

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

FF you've done well! :D I also like odd-shaped beds and can't wait to see it when it's planted up.