I asked Frank about a new section for this area...

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Sherry8, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I just asked Frank in a private message if we could have a section for people having problems and want to kill critters and for the ones that just want to enjoy them...with all the killing going on with people and some strangling sparrows on other sites...I would like to get away from reading that. If we had separate sections then I would just stay out of the killing area.

Anyone else want something like that? I would think it would work out just fine if we had the two areas. I take pictures of them and I do know people deer hunt, which I don't mind if it is for meat to eat...no problem with that if I don't have to see a picture of one hanging. I close my eyes when things come on TV like that.

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have not read anything about killing critters and the comments made about it have been joking...like my wanting to serve the ninja squirrels who used to raid our bird feeders, fried with cream gravy.

I don't think a section like you mention would serve any purpose on a gardening forum, The comments made about squirrels are the need to vent the feelings of frustrations at the unrelenting creature...not real threats that anyone is actually going to kill them. If they do actually do it, they certainly wouldn't be bragging about it here...at least no more than once because Frank, Eileen and I wouldn't allow it.

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Frank,
    I think your sticky covers the problem, although I will have to watch my mouth when it comes to armadilloes!
    Good solution. I understand Sherry's sensitivity on the subject.

featherphobia likes this.

Advertisement
  5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Armadillos drive me crazy too but I don't have the heart to even shoot one in the butt with a bee bee.It would probably bounce back and get me.

marlingardener likes this.
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh, dear, I hadn't thought of the ricochet effect! Maybe I'll just lob marshmallows at 'dillers from now on!

7. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Speaking as a returnist. I don't have a problem with bird feeders and such to bring birds near to a home.

Any pest critters they may draw (oh squirrels and such) are not past my ability to trap and remove.

All that said folks who leave dog-cat food out and draw predators, or the bird feeder left full when bear wake up must understand the emnity they create with predation problems those produce.

One tour of a hen house with a row of slaughtered chickens in it is a scene of carnage that will serve as a cause of ill will between neighbors for many years.

I guess all I'm asking for is a bit of common sense.

This and posting "No Hunting" signs does not protect either household.

FWIW both in my old residence (NH) and new (OH) are seeing resurgence of coy, wolf, and panther because winter kill of deer is so high. Please know that if humans don't hunt game animals, other animals will pick up the slack.

8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I understand all of what was said...I have no problem of taking care of the problem if someones life is endangered or if you hunt to eat. And if you do have to get rid of an animal, most people do not want to hear about it....so much killing has gone on in our society and our news has so much about the people that are dead that I just want a site where you can come to and not hear or read this kind of thing...My head is full of people shooting , killing and hurting so many innocent that I would just like to get away from it when I am on the computer. Now a site I used to go to twisted the necks of sparrows to get rid of them....I quit visiting there until they got those to quit posting about it.
    I am sorry if I hurt anyone feelings on this subject but I just want a place to get away from that.

9. DaphDaph

DaphDaph Seedling

I feel the same way Sherry.