I bought Foxglove and Lavender seeds today

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Tina, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I got them from Rite Aid.
    I liked the picture of foxglove in the cover so bought it.Don't have any idea of how I will grow them.
    I want to grow both of them in containers.Will these plants bloom this year at all? Any help/ suggestions will be appreciated.
    I live in Seattle, WA.

Also, I got 8(!!!!) seeds of sweet peas from a friend.I soaked them in water last night and put them in three pots with Miracle Gro potting mix.Is there any chance of them germinating at all?

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

You need to handle Foxglove with gloves.It is what they make the heart medicine Digitalis from and it can get in your system through handling it.I am very careful with it since I have a bad heart anyway.

4. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Really???? I will return it then

Really???? I will return it then. I have a child at home and donot want to harm him or us by growing foxglove.

5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

6. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

They get really, really huge too - better for filling a side patch or along a drive or fence than in a container anyway - I had some last year and a couple got taller than I am. They sure are pretty, though! I wonder if something like lupine might give you a similar look, or even delphiniums.

Sweet peas! My favorite - a lady after my own heart! I soak them and plant them in little "jiffy pots" (pop up peat pots you can get just about anywhere) - put them in a sunny window until they're sprouted up enough that they have at least one strong tendril that can grab onto support. By then, it's warm enough outside I can put them right into the ground around a trellis I have and they climb it from there.

There are dwarf or bush sweet-peas that are shorter and don't need so much support, but I've always preferred the old fashioned climbing ones. Enjoy them. 8 seeds aren't that many - they are nice when they are planted more thickly to fill in and not look leggy, so I put in at least a dozen and that's after culling out the weak ones.