I didn't play in the dirt today

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by dooley, Feb 4, 2012.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I played in the mud. Thursday we bought some pansies and white allysum in six paks and I really wanted to get them planted today. It poured rain all night to a total of approx. 4 inches. But, the sun was shining this morning so I went out and dug along the front deck/porch and planted a mix of 14 pansies. Just digging down one shovels depth I ran into water so the ground has had enough rain for a bit. It needs to soak down into the ground. At the end of the house where the daffodils are planted I put 18 plants, half pansies and half allysum. Then, I bought a witch's brewing kettle at Halloween so I filled it with rock and dirt and put half a dozen in it and set it by the back gate to the driveway. Now, they are all planted.
    Oh, I put two white allysum in a small pot and gave it to the girl next door. She is eleven yrs old and her name is Allyssa. I told her the allysum was named after her.
    dooley

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

When I first played in the mud I was 2 1/2 but I didn't have any plants. Mud does have its advantages, you don't have to water the plants afterward. Nice of you to give the plants to your neighbor's little girl. You may have started her in gardening.

I hope your next planting is a little drier.

Jerry

dooley likes this.
  4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Playing in the mud is almost as much as playing in the dirt! Our ground is so saturated right now, I'd be tempted to plant waterlilies right in the middle of the front yard.
    All the new flowers sound lovely. Hopefully you can show us pics once they settle in. I'd love to see your witches kettle all planted up.
    And I bet you neighbor will cherish Allysums from now on. :stew2:

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Welcome to the Mud Planter's Club. :D We play in the mud several times each summer. I don't mind when it's warm, but sometimes my hands get too chilly for comfort.

How nice of you to bring little Allyssa some blooms. :) I do hope she'll develop an interest for gardening. I gave away a nice, red rose to one of my neighbourhood girls. The rose is called "Hanne" and so's the girl.

6. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

We got just enough snow and rain to make it muddy here also. And 20 miles south of me got 4inches of snow.Colder temps. But looking at container design book. Making a list of flower. But last year we had -40 low couple of nights.