I finally got the east gardens the way I want them

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by 2ofus, Sep 26, 2014.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I think! I have a habit of overplanting plus bought some new, to me, plants last year that were taking over my small garden. Anyway, I got rid of the thugs and re-arranged things so, hopefully the shorter stuff is in the front and tall in the back. Now I just have to re-mulch it and hope everything lives.
    Oh the thugs are Purple Dome Asters. Gorgeous plants but they went from a 6 inch pot to a 3 1/2 foot wide plant in one year and had runners growing into flowers a foot away! I just don't have the room for that sized plants. They were beautiful though.

purpleinopp likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It sounds like you have things arranged properly now. Purple dome asters = thugs. hahaha. That's a good one. I know exactly what you are talking about. Some asters are more bullyish than others, but generally I find that one has to keep close tabs on asters in general.
    Those Purple Domes really are lovely though, I agree with that too.

4. Macshadow

Macshadow New Seed

I hope your garden turns out exactly like you want it to be and that thugs become guardians ;)

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'll second that Macshadow. Do take some photographs to let us see when everything is established.

Advertisement
  6. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Many popular garden plants are thuggish to me. I don't like to spend time with the shovel after planting anything. Good for you for taking control and getting it like-you-like-it!

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I don't mind what I call 'polite' spreaders. That's the ones like tall sedum that I can cut in half with a shovel, remove half of and leave the rest in the ground. It's the ones that the roots spread out and new plants are coming up a foot away, generally in the middle of another plant, that I can't stand. No matter how pretty they are.