I have an idea for storing seeds

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by margie12u, Nov 18, 2010.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

I know we use everything to store our seeds, But have any of you used the different sized medicine bottles they have? they really are good.they take up a little bit more room than a little baggy but they are air tight.It's just an idea, What do you all think? :idea: :?: :stew2:

Thank you Margie

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

stratsmom likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

I think its a great idea. Although, I like to have my seeds so they are able to get some air. Whether that does anything or not, I don't know. I suggest removing that inner plastic piece that makes them air tight from the cap before storing your seeds in them, but again I just like to have air to my seeds and don't really know if it helps keep them healthy or not.

4. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

We use the tubes in which the False teeth soaking tablets are sold. They are sterile and have an airtight lid.

5. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I use medicine bottles for storing my seeds, especially the small ones :) Yes Margie, they are really good!!

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I use whatever airtight container I can find... jars, bottles, tin cans, plastic baggies.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Since moving to the farm we are using more of an over-the-counter aches and pain medicine (go figure!) and its bottle is the perfect size for larger seeds. My husband takes an OTC allergy medicine that comes in small square plastic bottles, which we use for smaller seeds.
    I label both one side and the top, so when I'm looking for seeds in my stash, I don't have to move every one of them while searching.
    I used to use the little plastic canisters camera film came in, but we got a digital camera. Progress . . . .

8. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Storing seeds in any container that keeps them dry is a big plus. Re-using medicine containers, great idea. Before digital photography came along I used film containers. And I still have some seeds in glass medicine containers. Most of my seeds now are in plastic sealed bags because they lay flat when stored.

Jerry

9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I think it's a great idea, especially since we have reached the age where we now have lots of medicine bottles :rolleyes: I LOVE pimento cheese so I have a lot of seeds saved in those little tiny jars :-D

10. Zinnia

Zinnia Seedling

I came up with an idea this evening as I was feeding my friend's son his baby food! Yes, Gerber baby food is now in plastic containers that are durable, with a lid and recyclable. I am going to use them to sow seeds and store seeds this winter. The container is a perfect mini green house! :setc_015:

stratsmom likes this.
  11. prairie_dancer

prairie_dancer New Seed

storing seeds

all great ideas. here's what I do with seeds that I know I'm not going to use for a year or two. I have been able to store melon, tomato and and lettuce seeds this way. I put the dried saved seeds in the little baggies that every one on here probably know about. Then I use my food saver( the air-sucker-outer-machine for food). I put the baggies void of all air in the "machine bags" and suck the air out then toss them in the freezer,labled. Like I said I do this to save seeds for more than one season.

I had tomato seeds in a deep freezer for 8 years and they germinated this past season. So I would guess its what kind of seeds you want to save.
    Melon seeds do well this way too.

12. PJTN

PJTN New Seed

Storing Seeds

I also use the plastic medicine bottles...also use the little plastic zip-lock bags that extra buttons are in and attached to clothes.

13. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

I love the idea of using medicine bottles. They're usually dark in color and can go easily in frige with little room taken up if necessary. Great idea! TY :)

14. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Experienced hands will already know this.

For a new seed saver, please alow your seeds to become fully dry befor putting them into plastic bottles.

My 2 second sermon is: you want them dry as a mummy's butt.

Furry seeds is not good. ;-)