I have questions about growing Lavender and keeping it going

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by cooky, Mar 19, 2013.

1. cooky

cooky New Seed

I would love to grow some lavender! I live in southern BC Canada where it is quite hot and dry...just a perfect place ....but my yard is small.

My question is...
    can one just keep the lavender (if one is lucky enough to keep it alive!) in its pot and bring it into an unheated garage for wintering.

as long as one trims it back each fall, would the root system withstand being in the same pot without changing soil etc.

love the smell of them and would be a nice addition to my front yard.

moderator's note: split this post into it's own topic

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yes, you can. Good luck. I kept mine in an unheated greenhouse this winter. It looks a little burned, but it could have gotten dried out a few times.

4. Ctpumpkin

Ctpumpkin New Seed

We live in CT and leave it out all winter. Is there a reason you want to bring it in? Just wondering..... Thanks.

5. cooky

cooky New Seed

Carolyn
    thanks for replying...good to know that it survives in unheated greenhouse...I can do same but will have to remember to give it a bit of H2O every now and then.

CT Pumpkin, thanks for replying.
    the only reason I said about putting indoors over winter...was not sure if it would survive the cold. I live in 7b zone hardiness.

I have been reading where so many lose their plants.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What is your typical temperature summer and winter. Lavender likes it hotter than many other plants since it is native to Mediterranean locations.

If you have wet winters, it would be best to keep it in a dry place. Lavender doesn't do well being moist all the time, it really has to dry out more than most plants.
    Don't plant them close to each other or other plants if you are in a high humidity or wet area, that can cause root rot.
    Don't use an organic mulch, that also will cause root rot.

7. cooky

cooky New Seed

thanks Toni
    Summers can get to 104F and winters can be 10.4F but not too often and not for long. But we do get some pretty good windy days which brings the chill factor into play.

I think I would place them out in an open area in my small yard where it is in path of winds that we have quite reqularly...so that would keep them warm and dry.
    Then in witner, can bring them closer to house.

The thought has occurred to me to plant them in bed right up against house but the bed I have is only about 18" wide and I think that would be too small for this plant.

8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Toni, I have my lavender in a large wicker basket. I just went and removed the leaves [mulch] that I was trying to keep them warm with. They are on my deck where it faces south and is sunny most of the time.

Don't they need trimmed back sometimes ? And when is the best time to do that ? I am in southern Missouri, zone 6b.

9. JonnZ

JonnZ New Seed

I live where summers are hot and dry, and winters rarely get below 25F, but lavender, once established, spreads like a weed. I have to keep pulling it out!

It's a pretty hardy plant. You might try buying a few plants, leaving one out, covering one, and taking one in for the winter