I hope every ones snow melts slowly.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by koszta kid, Mar 4, 2014.

1. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I know lot want to see bare ground. But too fast -will be even worse. With spring floods. Want water to soak in-do some good. Not run off-take top soil with it.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I agree - a slow but steady thaw is by far the best way for all the snow to disappear.

4. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Guy at local hardware store he said "many sump-pumps being sold. Got 2 new sitting on shelf. Just incase on burns out. Got gas transfer pump-just incase get real bad. Have loaned that one out. Lady didn't have generator.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

We had a really slow melt here this year. I was shocked that we didn't get flooded out all over the place, but the creeks and rives pretty much were contained within the banks since it didn't warm up very fast and then we went back down into the really cold temperatures. Luckily I don't need a sump pump or need to worry about one, but there are more who have them than not. I would just open the basement door and let it run out.

Advertisement
  6. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

My home town got flooded in 08.---billions in damage. Still tearing houses town in Cedar Rapids. Down stream in Iowa City was just as bad.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh, That was bad. Kevin and my boys went out to Oakville on the boys' spring break to help clean up afterwards.

8. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

We helped family member Gut their house. Some areas in Cedar Rapids 20 feet over flood stage.