I need advice for over-wintering Mandevilla

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Kay, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

My friend thought of me when she was scurrying around her deck trying to save plants from the killing frosts the past few nights. Having an abundance of plants filling every nook and cranny in her house (just like me) she needed to find a home for this Mandevilla.
    I have never attempted to keep one over winter. This one seems to be pretty tough, she said it wasn't pampered at all. In fact it is very rootbound, desperately needing more soil in the pot.
    So, I'm asking my Stew friends to guide me here. Should I re-pot it? Should I cut it back? What sort of indoor conditions will it like? What are its requirements for winter watering? Does it go dormant? Any advice will be much appreciated! thanks!

2. Loading...

3. Kay

And of course, I didn't remember to post the photo... here it is...

[​IMG]
    inherited Mandevilla ( photo / image / picture from Kay's Garden )

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Kay, I kept a few over the winter last year in my coolish greenhouse. They were infested with scale and I couldn't get rid of it until I applied a systemic insecticide, insecticidal soap just wouldn't kill them all. I kept getting a new batch. I don't think I am going to do it this year. They weren't hard to keep, just buggy for me. :(

5. Kay

Thanks Carolyn. I don't see any scale... (and believe me, I know what they look like! ugh!)
    So, you're saying it might like a cooler temp? Like 60° ish? or cooler? What kind of sunlight?