I need advice on my purple aster, it is turning brown/dying!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by JenniferL, Jun 7, 2012.

1. JenniferL

JenniferL New Seed

I live in Iowa, and the spring came really early so my aster came up early and looked normal and fine until about 2 weeks ago. The center started turning brown and dying and now it seems one by one the stalks are all doing this. They just die and break off. What could be the problem?? Can I stop it at this point? Other things going on besides the early spring that may or may not have affected it are: dog urine, lawn watering and getting over watered?

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sounds to me like overwatering. I have never had a lot of luck with Asters, years ago we had too much rain and lately it has been way too little rain.

4. JenniferL

JenniferL New Seed

asters dying

thanks! I was afraid that might be it. It has been way too dry here and we have been seeding nearby and using a sprinkler to get it going. I am so disappointed because I have had a hard time getting them started, yet see them all around the area in the fall. I was so excited to see it return for the 2nd year and now I am losing it. Blah!

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

You might try looking for seeds as the wild plants mature. Worth a try.

Jerry

Advertisement
  6. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I'm from Iowa also West of Amana Colony. And my asters are doing the same thing. Had them for YEARS.I cut them way down. And See if that helps.But mine could use a good soaking.That area looks Bad right now.

7. JenniferL

JenniferL New Seed

hmm, that is interesting. I did notice yesterday that there are sprouts again towards the base, so maybe I should try cutting them back also.

8. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Going to use new Mantis tiller around my asters. Mulch well. And give a good drink. And pray for rain. I have no sprouts yet.

9. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Have 2 rains I noticed today I have sprouts.So they might bloom. They was over crowded so thinned them out.Will make some compost tea for them.

10. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I would cut them down, and see how they are when they grow back. There should be time for them to grow enough to bloom in the Fall. Good luck.

11. JenniferL

JenniferL New Seed

I may end up cutting them back, they are so spindly, what is left of them anyway. All my flowers loved the rain on Saturday, but now they are choking from the heat! What a summer!!

12. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I think This fall will move my aster to the back. And put something like long blooming annuals that can hide them when not blooming-and doing their ugly stage.But last years not taken proper care of my beds. 2 years ago had medical problem-got dizzy bending over a lot. And last year working on house.Glad to to better and able to work on garden. And pray we get the rain tonight.

13. JenniferL

JenniferL New Seed

Yes, rain would be good. Keeping fingers crossed! I noticed the field corn was starting to look spikey last night.

14. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I hate to see my water bill.But is getting dark west of Koszta.Winds can quit anytime.Some of the corn has no root system.When it get taller will fall over in winds.

15. JenniferL

JenniferL New Seed

Oh for sure! Our bill for this month was doubled and they sent us a note about it! We had some grass seed we were trying to get started so that was a lot of it. The rain was good last night though. So much cooler this morning.