I need help re-painting my room!

Discussion in 'Choosing Colors' started by x.tearsforhim, Jul 7, 2007.

1. x.tearsforhim

x.tearsforhim New Seed

Hello everybody, I'm new here and my name is Alicia and I'm 13 turning 14 in November =].

I just moved into a new house in Orangeville (built just for my family) and the colours of my wall and my sisters wall were mixed. So she got my light green and I got her blue.

I actually hate the green but I wasn't allowed to paint my room the colour I wanted to.

I want to paint my room with one black wall(the wall that the bed is on) and the other 3 walls a different colour.
    But, I have a white ceiling and baseboards, can I leave those aswell?

I will be buying black sheets for my bed though.

The other 3 walls will need to be a darkish colour.
    I will post a photo of my current room now to show you.

Please help me find another colour for the 3 walls.

Thanks =]
    Much love,
    Alicia

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Alicia,

It would be a great help if you could post photographs of your room from different angles as they size of a room can sometimes determine what colours would look best together. At the moment, without seeing it, I'd say that a dove grey on the walls would go well with the black you intend to have. I know when my kids were younger those colours were what they picked and they looked good together. You can have accents of strong colours with the black and grey too. For example blue, red, yellow and silver in say cushions, wall art etc can look lovely and very designer orientated. :-D

WELCOME to our forums and do stay as we love to have new members to 'chat' to. :D

4. x.tearsforhim

x.tearsforhim New Seed

I'll post pictures as soon as I can, but like I said, I just moved in and I dont have the comera cord because the camera was in my backback from the last day of school and the cord is packed in a shimmery gold box which I really need to find >.<

5. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

I don't know if it suits your style Alicia,
    but your mention of the black wall reminded me of something I saw once
    which I thought was very clever.

I was touring a designer showcase house, and in one of the bedrooms,
    the wall at the head of the bed was painted with blackboard paint,
    and a fancy, curlicued headboard was drawn right on the wall. :-D
    They had drawn several fancy picture frames there too,
    and filled them in with pretty pictures drawn with colored chalk.

Anyway, the other walls of the room were painted a very soft café au lait color,
    which kept the room from seeming too dark, and worked well with the black.
    It also made the room look quite sophisticated even with the playful blackboard wall.

Advertisement
  6. x.tearsforhim

x.tearsforhim New Seed

I was thinking of doing that.
    But I cant draw.
    At all =P
    And my parents wont let me (I've asked already) as the dust from the chalk and everything.

So yea, but I found the cord and I have the pictures so I will post them in like 2 minutes.

7. Delilah

Delilah New Seed

I'd put one in dark violet with some black pattern (flowers or sth), one in grey with violet pattern and one in a little bit dark yellow (which would bring some sunshine in your room)

8. nan1234

nan1234 Seedling

When my daughter wanted to paint her room with one wall (the wall with windows) black and the other tree in dark red, I was quite astonished. She also wanted the ceiling in metalic gold.

But every thing turns out perfect with white molding and black furnitures.

9. teddybear

teddybear In Flower

I seen your cork board, have you thought of using some metallic paint. You wouldn't have to do the whole wall just a design of some sort. Then when you were finished with your stuff you could just take it down and have a clean wall, or use the magnets to decorate with.

10. beddecor

beddecor New Seed

Alicia,

When I was 13 I painted a wall of my bedroom black. I left the other walls plain white, and I used lots of fun and colorful wall decor. I even had a framed drawing from kinder garden. My bedspread was red, and white, so I used black, and grey sheets. I also had lots of pillows and cushions all different colors. I also had flowers around the room. It always added a special, and feminine touch. Over all having a black wall lets you be creative. So don't be scared of trying things out; black goes well with almost every color.

11. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Sounds like it could be very interesting - my only thought would be to bear in mind the degree of 'light' in the room - if you have all of the walls dark, it could be like living in a cave which could be quite depressing after a bit, you you may want to consider more contrast or counter-balancing tones to go with the black and bring in additional strong color with pictures or drapes that are more easily changed if it becomes overpowering.