I need to pick your brains for a filler....

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Mrs. Galeassi, May 16, 2013.

1. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

I recently put 4 pineapple plants in front of my patio..actually L shapped..... I plan on adding a border when I find one that suits me... but I don't want to add mulch to this area. Id like to pick your brains for a maybe creeping filler flower that's heat resistant and won't strangle the pineapple plants. The soil is sandy and kinda orangish. it would get watered every morning with the rest. But we also get heavy rains at times. Area 9b.... Wow after I proof read that sounds like I need a miracle plant... haha. :) Here's some pics.......

[​IMG]
    5/15 Pineapple plants 2nd summer ( photo / image / picture from Mrs. Galeassi's Garden )

[​IMG]
    5/15 Moved the pineapple plants up front.... ( photo / image / picture from Mrs. Galeassi's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I just picked up some Moss Rose to use as a filler. They're pretty tough little plants... so might work for you.

4. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Hey I just googled them and I think we have a winner. Perfect and I love the wide variety of colors. I personally liked the sundial yellow and the peppermint colors. Where did you get yours? What color did you go with?

5. cherylad

I got them at Lowes... but they are very common... at least around here... any nursery should have them. Most of the plants are a mixture of colors. I just picked out a few with different colors already in bloom.

Mrs. Galeassi likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Yep I work tomorrow and my store is right next to Lowes. I will deffinately go take a look... thank you..... :)

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cheryl, that is a great suggestion. They are very pretty, hardy and drought tolerant.

8. cherylad

Kinda like Mrs. G said... a Miracle Plant :-D
    I've been putting some in my succulent bed to help fill it in and hopefully help keep the weeds down. Maybe I need to stop and buy some more? :D

9. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

I'm excited, I think they will liven up that bare area around the pineapple plants, let's be honest they look sad up there all alone.... :D