I really need to be banned going into garden centers!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by CariAnn88, Jan 29, 2014.

1. CariAnn88

CariAnn88 Seedling

I really can not going looking around a garden center or places that does garden things without buying anything!

I've just bought Elsanta and Cambridge favorite strawberries, Maris peer seed potatoes and Stuttgarter onion set. Plus 3 bags of 52ltr soil and a 40ltr plant pot.

I just need now to figure out where to plant all these and the seeds I've already got and wont be using for my greenhouse.

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

CariAnn, talk to Cheryl, who recently walked right past a bulb display and didn't even look! Yes, the girl is amazing . . . .
    Personally, I consider it "research" to look, buy, and plant. Someone has to do it, and you and I are "sacrificing" ourselves on the altar of bigger and better plants!

4. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Carrie, I think you have quite a bit of company in this group..
    Hank

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Personally I don't see a problem, I see a commitment to beautifying your part of Mother Earth and feeding your family. If you have to expand your garden area then that is being environment friendly since you will be decreasing the lawn area that requires more fertilizer and water than a garden, the wasting of time in the mowing and trimming process, plus there won't be as many harmful gasses being spewed into the air by the lawn mower. Cheryl didn't start calling me the enabler for nothing ;) and I can come up with more good reasons to make a few more trips to the garden center in the future. :-D

Of course this is coming from someone who has recently made an online order for 11 plants, is about to make another, smaller (I hope) order and has plans to wander through a couple of garden centers this weekend, seed potatoes and more bulbs should be in stock by now!!

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Welcome to GardenStew's Plantaholics anonymous CariAnn. We're all tarred with the same brush here. ;) We simply can't go to garden centres without getting itchy fingers and ending up buying at least one poor, homeless little plant, pack of bulbs or seeds. Isn't it nice to know that you're not alone with you obsession? :D

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  7. CariAnn88

CariAnn88 Seedling

It is good to know I am not alone in all this.

I've got the itch where I just want to start sowing now! But I can't until spring arrives! I know it's only over a month away now but it's just too long! I am going to have no more space in the garden at this rate if I keep buying :)

8. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I have my list in my purse. And a list of nurseries in Grass Valley, Ca. One place boasts of having the largest seed collection in the area. I checked with the airlines to see if I can carry on live plants. YES I can. I'm taking Christmas and goodies to my sisters, so I will have an empty suitcase to fill. Now if I can just get there.

9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Give me a couple of weeks and I guarantee no plant store will be safe from my shopping frenzy. :stew2:

CariAnn88 likes this.
  10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Yup, I'm guilty too.
    Thankfully the garden centers don't open here for a few more months, so I can't get into too much trouble :rolleyes:

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I bought two Rose plants at Tractor Supply the other day :rolleyes: and have been eyeing a white climbing rose plant at the grocery store. Sometimes you don't need a garden center to get into plant buying trouble.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  12. CariAnn88

CariAnn88 Seedling

I've just seen some plants in a supermarket that I want to buy.

13. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Yes. My buying tendencies have led to my garden looking like it has a case of onesie-onesie polka dots. I am gradually trying to cure it (& me!) of that.