I spent the day outside!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by dooley, Mar 7, 2011.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Yesterday it was cold, cloudy and windy. Today was just the opposite. Sunny and warm and no wind. I went outside and started doing things and cleaned out the corner of the yard by the gate and cleaned out some flower pots and tubs and refilled them with potting soil and planted some pansies and petunias. I hope it isn't too late because I know they like cool weather. It was only 30 degs this morning so I think that's still cool. I checked my bulbs that I planted in December. They are coming along. Some are six or eight inches and others are just coming through the ground. I watered all the rose bushes and trees and other things in the yard.
    We decided that since our garden area is only about 10 ft by 30 ft that we will do what we did last time and put down black plastic, cover it with mulch and cut holes in it to put in the plants when they are big enough. I will get them started tomorrow after we come home from the library.
    I do hope it's another nice day like today.
    dooley

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. KK Ng
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. EJ
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Congrats Dooley. You have been busy. I am hoping that it will stay nice for you and I am looking forward to seeing some fotos of things as they are coming along.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The black plastic and mulch seem like a great idea to me. They'll help to stop the weeds from popping up and that can only be a good thing. I was out today as well filling pots ready for sowing nasturtiums when the weather gets a bit warmer.

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

nasturtiums? With all of the flower seeds that I bought I forgot nasturtiums. I really like them, too. I'll buy some when we go shopping on Wednesday. Thanks for the reminder! dooley

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I'm jealous!I still have 15 inches of winter to melt.

I tried raking the snow but it's not the same.:-(

Jerry

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I'm with Jerry here...we just got 15cm of fresh snow :(

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Jerry... raking snow! That's too funny!
    I too got to spend alot of time outside yesterday. The morning started off a bit chilly, but by afternoon I was able to shed the sweatpants and put on shorts!
    I was able to get the back area of the garage cleaned away (had been piling stuff there since we moved in). Today, I'm going to get the rose bushes and cosmos seeds planted. Also going to rotate seedlings in the hardening off process. And start my last batch of seeds. That oughta keep me busy on my day off work!

9. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Springtime idea for snowbound gardeners: a practice mess.

A pot you put outside in the winter with seeds and mulch that is accessible in the spring. Then when there is too much snow to do anything, bring in one of the pots, gently clean and tend the plants as they come up.

Make as many messy plant pots as you want. 10, 20, 50 :)

Jerry