I would really like to know why?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by alleyyooper, Jul 20, 2005.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper Seedling

:?: at this time I checked the member list, I found there are 141 members. Of that 141 members only 54 (give or take one or two since I have to use my fingers and toes twice, plus a third time for another.) have one or more post.
    So the question is Why do so many sign up to be members and never post?????
    This site I found out allows guest to post and read. So if you have one question or comment why not just post as a guest? One never needs to sign up to read the post so why sign up just to do that?
    I see it all the time and don't under stand why????

:D Al

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Al,

I have several theories on this so let me share :)

- Some may simply sign up and forget to post
    - Some sign up just to get a link to their website on their profile page (pretty pointless)
    - Some sign up using an incorrect email address and never receive the account activation email (there is really nothing I can do about this)
    - I'm pretty sure some accounts are created by automated software (again pointless)

At the end of the year I hope to delete all those accounts that do not post just to make things leaner.

Good question Al, certainly a new one :p

4. alleyyooper

alleyyooper Seedling

I think that some sign up so as to see just how many forums that can bee members of. also some just loose the path to get back once they sign up. I have did that my self and spent days wandering the net looking for that place again but never gave up.
    Like a lot of clubs it is about ten percent of the members who make things work.
    Yes I would also delete members who have not posted in a years time. It is point less to keep them and reduce the number of user names other people can use.

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I am new to the internet. I have signed up with only three forums. One is very large and I just read the posts. I never post to that one. The second one is listed as a cookng forum but is more chat. I do use their arcade. I never post. It doesn't seem to be my thing. I do like this forum and feel comfortable enough to post on it. I have been looking at other forums but have not found any yet that I even go back to read. Dooley

Advertisement
  6. Frank

It's great that you feel comfortable posting here dooley and we are glad that you do :p. I think we have a great bunch of people posting here who all want to help which is great! Above all though it is a very friendly place with more people joining all the time.

There are new features being developed for the forum currently and you should see them before too long. I think you guys will be pleasantly suprised :smt023 :smt024

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Dooley we are really pleased that our forums are the ones you feel most at home with. :) GardenStew is new too having just started in January of this year. :D Don't ever feel shy about posting here for help, or indeed, offering advice to others 'cause we're certainly not all gardening gurus. Any jokes, amusing stories, piccies or even moans and groans we're here to hear them all. :smt052

8. Frank

Couldn't have ever put it better than that Eileen! :p

9. alleyyooper

alleyyooper Seedling

:D Kare says I am a computer forum junkie. I admit I belong to a number of them that suit my intrest.
    A wood working one because I lack the natural skills to think of a way to do some thing so I go there to ask the question How do you.
    A snowmobileing one because I really like to do that and I like to share the stories of our ride and talk about future rides.
    A tractor one because I love old tractors plus collect them For once I get to share my knowledge and what all the book I own tell me.

A honey bee forum bee cause I am still learning about them and also like to share what I have learned. The two biggest things I have learned about bees have came from the forum and from joining a club.

I have been kicked off a fishing fourm because I dared to voice my anti war feelings with the sites owner. I also have been kicked off a bee keeping forum for argueing with the site owner over his bashing of the French people for the stand the Goverment took on the war.
    Yes I am againest the war. I also feel the goals as told to Americans piece meal have been accomplished so bring the troops home.
    I also feel that the French goverment have every right to how they feel about the war as every other country againest it does with out the people of that country being degraded.

Yes Kare and I have even tried to start our own garden forum. With out people posting they are boreing and no one wants to hang around boreing places. We want a place to share our gardens with out rude people tramping off the paths and picking blooms we may have been waiting on for seed.

10. Frank

Starting up a forum is not an easy task most of the time especially if the forum is not part of an existing site. GardenStew has picked up speed quite nicely due to the friendly and helpful members. Without you guys and gals it would be nothing. And now that it has had a great start you can be assured that it will be around for years and years to come. So sit back, relax and enjoy what is to come.

Here's to a bright future for all !!! :smt023 :smt023

Oh yeah, be sure and let your friends know about us... if you haven't already that is :D

11. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

I belong to severl forums also. One has about 900 members. But there are only about 20 that post regularly. And surpriseingly there are days where no one posts at all! The popularity of them comes and goes and there isn't a great deal that can be done about it.