Ice on pretty much everything ...outside Photos added

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by toni, Dec 6, 2013.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It's a little after 1 a.m., I just checked outside and found there is about 1/4th inch of ice on everything. The power has already flickered once so I guess I will completely shut the computer down tonight just in case the power goes out, I usually leave it on 24/7 since I let SETI and Einstein use it when I am not. It has been probably 10 -15 years since we have had a winter event like this.

The forecast is for more ice tonight that could result in widespread power outages...so.... We have candles, oil lamps and a gas kitchen stove that I will be leaving on low tonight just in case.

Pretty much everything in the immediate area will be closed tomorrow. Remember, this is Texas where it is normally HOT and DRY almost year round.

When it gets down to around 20 degrees overnight the precipitation could all turn to snow. But there will still be about 1/2 inch of ice underneath the snow so only emergency personnel should be on the road. Of course there are always non-natives who believe that they can drive in these conditions, they are usually the ones in the ditch/hospital/auto repair shops later. :rolleyes: The natives who KNOW they can't drive on ice will be home, safe and snug.

I will have photos in the morning and hopefully electricity too.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm keeping everything crossed that you don't have a power outage Toni. Hey maybe you'll have a white Christmas this year - I know you'd really love that. :-D I'll look forward to your icy pics later on.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I love how you get so excited about ice and snow Toni. I can't even imagine how excited you would be here in Ontario after a good snowfall! :D
    I hope you don't lose your power, and I look forward to your photos!

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, so glad you are prepared for the worst, and I sincerely hope the worst doesn't happen! Losing electricity is a serious matter.
    We are getting rain, lots of rain. I really hope the temperature stays above freezing--I hate ice. Skating out to the barn to check on the ladies is not fun.

Advertisement
  6. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Hope it warms up enough to melt ice. Have been with out power and bitterly cold. People staying at our house. We have 2 generators. Like to have solar type.

7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I can imagine Toni out checking for snow like a child trying to catch a glimpse of Santa. :D
    That ice is a very dangerous thing...I learned that very quickly when I went to school up there.
    Hope you get some snow and don't lose power.

8. toni

Didn't get cold enough for snow, the temp stayed in the upper 20's so it was freezing rain and sleet. We do have a couple of nights in the teens coming up too, that's colder than originally forecast.

Not excited about ice as such but the prospect of actual Winter is thrilling to me. About 3-4 inches of ICE on the street out front and my yard. The crepe myrtle limbs are almost laying down on my car, I walked around out front taking photos and everytime I brushed against an ice covered plant (there was still a lot of green out there) the stems would break and fall off. And now I am hearing the popping of tree limbs snapping around the neighborhood.

Not forecast to get above the freezing mark (32f)until sometime Sunday afternoon and could be more sleet tomorrow. It's gonna be a mess when it's all said and done. :eek:
    [​IMG]
    Thus night, the beginning ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

The limb is still attached to the tree so there is no damage to the car....yet.
    [​IMG]
    Limb gently laying on car roof ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

The leaf broke off the stem when I was feeling the thickness of the ice on it.
    [​IMG]
    Turk's Cap leaf, ice covered ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Looking from my yard across neighbor's yard to the almost 4 inches of ICE in the street.
    [​IMG]
    Looking from my yard ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Won't be green much longer but for now it's 'frozen in time'...
    [​IMG]
    Passionflower Vine ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Frank, Sjoerd, Droopy and 5 others like this.
  9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

You captured the ice very well Toni. I even started to feel a little cold looking at the photos! :D
    I hope the trees don't suffer too much damage. Glad you or Randy don't have to get out and try driving in the big old ice rink.

10. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Sounds lovely, but dangerous for driving. We have ice and about 9+ inches of snow so far. It is still coming down.

When I lived down there in the ice storms, I always thought it was the locals who were out driving like nuts. They were the ones doing donuts and whatnot on the freeways. I am from up north, know better than to drive like that.

11. toni

Lived here all my life except for about 5 years and the drivers who, when interviewed after having an accident while driving on the ice, say that they thought they were used to driving in this kind of weather since they had been driving in it up north.

The locals know we can't drive on it and stay home. That's why schools and universities close and many businesses either open later in the day or just stay closed. We get made fun of a lot for being such wimps in this weather by pretty much shutting down whole cities.

Course some locals have to drive to work if their company doesn't close down for ice days.

12. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

My, that's serious ice! :eek: I don't like ice even though we've got sand, salt and studs on everything that's supposed to touch the sanded, salted ice.

It makes for lovely photos though.

I'm glad you're prepared. Stay snug, safe and secure.

13. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Wow. Those are some very icy conditions! I'm glad you're prepared. I agree with Cheryl, you captured the icy conditions very well in your photos.

14. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'd much rather have a few feet of snow than a few inches of ice any day. We had our first snow flurries yesterday and have had more today.
    Stay inside until thatice melts Toni as we don't want you falling and injuring yourself.

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

ooh Toni--Those pics really make me shiver. So beautiful and so cold-looking.
    Isn't that Passion Flower Vine magical-looking? Quite artistic.

16. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Think it going to be one of those strange winters. Dh got extra bag of ice melt. And cheap kitty litter. High is to 14 * Get my long johns ready.