ID Help.. Small Little yellow flowers,lily pad like Foliage?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Allieono, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Allieono

Allieono New Seed

This little plant comes up each year in winter. I am in Australia and live in the Southern tablelands of NSW, where we get very cold winters.
    The foliage or leaves are rounded and about 10 cm or 4inches in diameter and very glossy (they remind me of lillie pads) The Flowers find their way through the foliage and look like butter cups..I have googled images of buttercups but the foliage is completely different...It hasnt multiplied a great deal.I was hopeing to find out what it is so i can move it to a better position and maybe it will do better...At the moment it is under a standard rose and the protection from wind and frost is supplied by a diosma...I havent been game to lift it to see weather it comes from a bulb or corn of some sort....
    Thanks for taking the time to read my query....any help would be greatly appriciated.
    Allieono

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Allieono's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I think your plant may be Lesser Celandine/Ranunculus ficaria Allie. The leaves certainly do look like the wild yellow waterlily ones don't they?

4. Allieono

Allieono New Seed

I found What it is!!!!!

Thank you Eileen for your help...I went searching with your infomation and found that it is "caltha palustris" or called Marsh Marigold.....Its in the Ranunculus family..If you have the time have a read about this plant...Im so glad i found out what it is.....now i can sleep...
    ty once again
    Allieono

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I went out into the garden after I'd replied to your message Allie and guess what I found growing in my pond? Yes Marsh Marigolds!! :rolleyes: I came back here to edit my post and tell you exactly what your plant was only to find that you'd managed to ID it.
    So pleased that you found out what it was even although I'm a bit embarrassed to find out that it's been growing in my pond for ages and I hadn't really noticed it before. :oops: :oops:

6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Marsh Marigold was my first thought too.:)