Identification please of an pale peach colored Iris with an orange beard

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by 2ofus, Jun 20, 2016.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

This Iris was here when we bought the house 4 years ago and this is the first year it's bloomed. It is pale peach colored with an orange beard and very pretty. Any one know what it is?
    flowers 2016 001 (Medium).JPG

flowers 2016 002 (Medium).JPG

2. Loading...

3. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

That is BEAUTIFUL ! ! I don't know its' name, wish I did, and hoping you'll be successful in your search for the name...
    Hank

Cayuga Morning and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

There hundreds of Iris cultivars and many are almost the same color, maybe with just a different shade of color on the fall, so ID-ing one is sometimes difficult.

Depending on how old that plant is it might not have a name other than Iris germanica...aka Bearded Iris or German Iris. Not too many years ago they didn't come with names. Then botanists started crossbreeding them, typically using the Iris germanica as the father of the new cultivars. And with all the variations of colors and color combinations they started giving them names to tell them apart and make them more interesting to the buyers.

Your might check out what this site offers to see if anything looks like the one you have...
    http://www.schreinersgardens.com/tall-bearded

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I did check Schreiners and didn't find anything close to it. I think it is an older iris as it isn't as full and ruffled as much as many of the newer kinds. I really like it though and it is a 'keeper' for me, name or no-name.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My 'popsicle ladies' are an unnamed tall Bearded Iris that I love...no name but they are beautiful and smell wonderful so a botanist's name is not needed.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

This one smells sweet too. Kind of like the striped leaf ' Variegata' iris. I like to plant any scented flowers along walkways where I can enjoy them every time I walk by.

8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I goofed and pulled and discarded my pinks and my dark purple ones...I am heartsick...I was trying to get the weeds out from in between and then never got them planted again.... yours is gorgeous...

9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi 2, what a beautiful iris! I agree it does look like an older iris... a historic. Does it have PBF? (purple based foliage?) Some irises do, most do not. It can help with identification. Look at the base of the foliage near the rhizome to see if there is any maroon/purple streaking.
    The other thing to figure out is the foliage color:. Blueish, solid green, yellow green, etc.

Ok I have now just officially shot my wad in terms of identifying irises! If you really want to know what it is, there are websites where true iris afficionados hang out & they can help with id.

Regardless of the name, it is a lovely little thing.

10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

BTW I have that striped leaf iris too (iris pallida). What a good idea to plant along a walkway to enjoy the scent!

Sherry....bummer about your iris!