IDs for Four Butterflies

Discussion in 'Butterfly / Moth' started by MazY, Jun 26, 2008.

1. MazY

MazY New Seed

Further to my previous topic, I have four more photos of unidentified butterflies. As before, they were taken at a local butterfly park, and so could be from anywhere around the world.

Any help in identifying them would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. ehmahh
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. MazY
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

They're beauties, that's for sure! :D

Could the first one be a rice paper butterfly, Idea leuconoe?

No. 2 I think is Japanese Giant Black Swallowtail. I only found one photo on the net.

I can't find anything looking like those two brown ones.

4. MazY

MazY New Seed

Looking at images on the web, of the rice-paper butterfly, the colours look right, but I'm not sure about the shape of the wings. It's hard to tell because it seems the one in my photo has had some of its wings 'nibbled'.

Similarly, the swallowtails that I see on Google images all seem to have more pronounced markings, though the shape and overall colour seems about right.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to call it to be honest. I might just go with them until someone corrects me. :)

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Not knowing the country of origin is a great roadblock in the search.

Most of my butterfly books are of North American Butterflies but I do have one with photos of over 700 butterflies from around the world but even with that many it doesn't include them all by a long shot. I was only able to find a photo of #5 in the first 6 butterfly photos you posted and none of these 4.

Plus, like many birds, the male and female butterflies can have different colors even tho the markings and shapes are the same.

If I were you, since you said the butterfly park is local, I would go back over there and get their identification guide. Probably much quicker and more accurate. ;)