If it's ugly - hide it!

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by DEBBIE1957, Jun 13, 2008.

1. DEBBIE1957

DEBBIE1957 New Seed

If what you see is what you get, then you get a whole lot of ugly by my back door.

What does everyone use to hide their air conditioner and utility meters? I don't want to plant something that will irritate the meter reader or my husband should vines start growing in the air conditioner unit, but to me they just scream - EYE SORE.

Everyone's ideas would be greatly appreciated and pictures of what you've done would be fantastic.

2. Loading...

3. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

Well I don't have an AC unit, but I've got an ugly gas tank. I've currently don't have anything on it, but I've been looking at lattice panels. You can buy them all hinged together in 3 or 4 panels and they just sit around the unit. Most of them can be moved easily if you need service or readings of some sort.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

How about live willow fencing? It not only looks good but should cover those 'uglies' for you fairly quickly.

5. louisiana-blooms

louisiana-blooms Seedling

Hi Debbie ....i really dont know what you could put around it .....i had planted flowers around my air conditioner unit before.had cannas and other flowers around it to hide it. my unit broke and had to call a repair man .he came and when he was finished knocked on door with bill and told me to come see. without asking he chopped all my flowers down that was around it . :( he told me not to plant around the unit cause that will cause it to over heat and cause problems . so i never done that again .

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Perhaps you could build a "rack" or screen and let 2-3 Clematises grow on it. If the "screen" is a yard away from the AC unit and so forth, it would not be in the way...and it would perhaps shade it some, which might be good for it.
    Here are a couple of racks that I built for peas and beans, but you could simply grow pretty and fragrant climbing plants on such a thing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They are very simple ones--three tall fruit tree support poles with a wire mesh between them. Plastic coated chicken wire would be good. (Actually I find wood better thankmetal, but I had to use what was on hand for the one rack).

Good luck.

7. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Lowe's and Home DePot and other similiar stores have lattice fencing that is made to 'hide' ugly eye sores! The repair man was right about planting things around a unit. It will cause them to overheat and not work properly or not at all! :(

8. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

DH is a phone man and has made disparaging remarks over the years concerning juniper bushes and such planted by phone pedestals. I highly recommend the lattice screen solution.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes..access is important as well as overheating. Just be sure if you erect a screen of sorts, that there is ample room on all sides for access to your meters and ac units...as well as aircirculation.

10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I have Daylily's planted all around mine. But I never turn on the A/C!

11. Allison

Allison New Seed

what to plant

I would do lattice or arborvitae, both are inexpensive and can shield. Just don't plant too close to the unit if possible. Another option is to put decorative rocks around the base -- won't hide it but does dress it up a little.