I'm using my Santa gift

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by 2ofus, Dec 27, 2014.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I'm sitting here right now using my new computer! All I had before was a Windows 7 laptop and I really prefer a desktop. I didn't think I could get a Windows 7 anymore and I have tried and dislike Windows 8 ( not made with the older people in mind!)so I didn't think I had an option. Then Mike surprised me with a new Windows 7 desktop! I am extremely happy! :D :D Thankfully with Mike and my granddaughter helping I was able to transfer all my information over so I am very happy Stewbie tonight!

Frank, Sjoerd, Netty and 6 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. eileen
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

How lovely! Clever Santa for knowing that you wanted an upgrade :D

Have fun with it!

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You are like me 2ofus as I much prefer a desktop to a laptop. I have Windows 7 and don't want to have anything to do with Windows 8 either. I'm so pleased that 'Santa' brought you exactly what you wanted. :D

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I prefer the 7 to the 8 as well. I have had some of experience with the 8 and the 8.1 because there are a few older folks here that I have had to help when they got a new computer and Windows 8 was delivered with it.
    It was a learning experience for me because before I could help them, I had to first learn how Windows was constructed and where everything was myself.

I told the folks and I shall tell you that one can still get new compi's with Windows 7 although sometimes you have to tell the peeps from which you buy the computer what you want in it, in terms of components...and then they will put it together for you. The plus of this is that the folks will know relatively quickly if the various components are compatible with each other.

Of course not everyone understands enough to do this but with advice from folks like Frank or perhaps knowledgeable family members it isn't as daunting as you might think.

By the next time you get a new computer Windows 10 may be for sale, but we have to see what that will be like in terms of customer friendly usefulness. What they say about it now and what we actually eventually get remains to be seen.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Congrats on your new desktop! I prefer my desk top to any of the other gadgets around my house, and also dislike Windows 8 very much. I do hope there is something better by the time I need a new computer.

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I just wish that companies realized that there's a large population of over age 40 people that didn't grow up with computers, that don't have the body shape for 'skinny jeans' and only use a cell phone to call someone. Sometimes simpler is better. Okay! I've got that off my chest today. I feel better. :D :D

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

:D I couldn't have said it better myself! :D

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I have said it many times, but never better! Skinny jeans, Window 8 (which everyone seems to hate), and cell phones that take photos and "text"--bah, humbug!

10. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Congrats on your wonderful Christmas gift. I personally is also a Windows 7 person when Windows 8 was introduced. Now with Windows 8.1 I had change my mind and move on. Win 8.1 is almost like Win 7 but better. :)

11. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Well said 2ofus!

Sadly though I don't think the companies will ever care about the over 40s because we have probably ,although not everyone,reached the point where we don't want the next new shiny thing as soon as it hits the shelves.What they need and cater for are the teens + who have peer pressure to cope with.

Frank likes this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

There is so much to what you say, 2of--I believe that many markets are geared towards young folks. That isn't very nice, and I feel myself falling into the older group and less in the "young" group...I can take these sorts of things more personally.
    Heck Kia...over here it isn't the over 40's...it's more dreadful--its the over 30's. Shocking.

Kiasmum likes this.