In my neck of the woods

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by pondlady, Sep 13, 2006.

1. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

This wonderful cypress swamp was part of a plantation where I built a HUGE pond. I loved doing it and loved watching all the critters who lived in the swamp who were on their way to eat my pond vegetation. Contrary to popular opinion, swamps can be incredibly beautiful.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. carolyn
      Replies:
      Views:

3. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

You are so right we live in the Amite river Basin (lots of swamps) when the Irises are blooming it is beautiful, the diverse wildlife is amazing also.

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Yes,pondlady and a little scary:) I've heard so much about the Gators and snakes and other animals that live in the swamp.I've only viewed the swamps from the hwy and I probably will leave it that way.They are truly beautiful and I enjoy seeing pictures of them very much.Thanks for sharing them with us .

5. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

Beautiful picture but I agree with glandann - I think I will look from a distance.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your photograph reminds me of a programme we saw on TV about prehistoric times. The plants looked very similar to the ones in your photograph. I would love to see those swamps for myself and the wildlife that inhabits them.

7. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

There are swamp tours around here. I have taken tourists on them and have enjoyed every minute. I would never have a walk in the bogs tho....even with waders.

On a lighter note, the last swamp tour (Honey Island Swamp), we had a great guide. While drifting along, his patter was cute and informative like most guides. A snake swam by. Several people were screaming already and that snake was 15 feet away. He told us it was a special Louisiana Water Snake and had the ability to jump. Before he got the word jump completely out of his mouth, the woman behind me was on her husband's shoulders. I had to laugh...prolly because I knew there was no such thing. But I do like snakes. They are most pretty. But, no, I have no pics of them, sorry.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I must admit that I'm rather partial to snakes (my daughter has a Western Hognose Python) and have never been afraid of them.

Once a client came into the vets with a reticulated python with a gash in its side. It was a large snake and quite difficult to handle because of its strength but it was sooo beautiful. :-D

Who knows Jan there may come a day when I can come over and take a tour of those wonderful swamps for myself.

9. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

I'm a great tour guide and would love to meet you. After all, I've been to Scotland - so very beautiful. The only snakes I have live in the yard, under the juniper bushes. Scares the hell out of visitors when she or they are out sunning on the sidewalk. They are just little black snakes. I hope they will stay around. Since we are organic gardeners, there will be no pesticides in this garden, so they should like it here.

10. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

This is the first time since we moved to French Settlement 22 years ago that we do not live within walking distance of a swamp. I really miss those long walks through the woods along the edge of the swamp. We didn't go crawfishing last year, but I do want to go this coming season. It is really getting hard on both of us walking through the swamp bc the mud pulls at you, kind of like a vacumn effect I guess. But it is beautiful. I think my youngest daughter will always remember the bobcat she saw sunning on a log in the swamp when she went crawfishing with Richard. I wish I had been on that trip, but was working that day.

11. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Our house in Slidell, the one that was destroyed by Katrina, was a quarter mile from Honey Island Swamp and we walked the dog there daily. We miss it, all the critters and the house. Now we have a lawn and nasty boys on 4 wheelers to listen to as they roar by. Our mini vacation in two weeks to Eureka Springs might cure our Katrina blues. If we can find a suitable house, we shall make all due preparations to leave Louisiana (in the broad daylight.)

12. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

I have been in the swamps my whole life like Sharon said we go every year crawfishing. I will tell you one thing most alligators, snakes,etc. will leave you alone if you leave them alone. One evening bringing Sharon home from work we saw what I thought was a big dog in the ditch on the side of the road until it walked out in the road it was a Florida panther very rare and a once in a lifetime sight in the wild. I had heard them scream many time (they sound like a woman screaming) but they are so shy you hardly ever see them.

13. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Wow, I have rarely seen swamp critters except alligators. I would love to tho. A couple of years ago, one of our neighbors, the dumbest landscaper in the world, was weeding between momma alligator and baby alligators. She lost her arm. And she deserved it. We all know better than to get between any momma and her babies.