Indoor Gardening Low-Maintenance Flower Selections for Decor

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by rm2dance, Apr 15, 2011.

1. rm2dance

rm2dance New Seed

Where can i find a chart of flowers-herbs-any plants by ease? ease to grow? ease to maintain? etc.

Do you know of, or can you ask someone if they know where to find a list of low-maintenance flowers that can be grown indoors, so then I can look through the pictures and see which ones I'd like to grow?

This gardening thing is not made easy for those interested to get started...

I have an interest in flowers, but I'm not a gardener, and i like simplicity. First time, I'm looking to grow a pretty flower/plant indoor for decor. It would be low-maintenance, have ease of care, and possibly highly fragrant, take a shorter time to grow, and live for a longer time compared with other options. This is long-term planning to set it up for life.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Which way do the windows in your house/apartment face? Are you thinking of plants for window sills, table tops or do you have room for plants that sit on the floor?

You mention "This is long-term planning to set it up for life." Some plants, with proper care and a good amount of luck, could possibly last for your lifetime, but gardening whether inside or outside can be a hit-or-miss experience. Sometimes you have a plant that lasts for several years and sometimes you find one that won't last a month and you have to replace it. Don't be afraid to start gardening, I don't know of anyone who never lost a plant or two or twelve. But that's one way gardeners learn what to plant where and how to take care of them. ;)

HERE is an Advanced Search list of the plants in our data base the you might find interesting.

I have Epipremnum pinnatum (Golden Pothos, Devil's Ivy)
    Spathiphyllum 'Domino' (Peace Lily)
    Schlumbergera truncata (Thanksgiving Cactus, Crab Cactus)
    Schlumbergera bridgesii (Christmas Cactus)
    Saintpaulia ionantha (African Violet)

4. DMJ24

DMJ24 Seedling

I grew geraniums from seed in the house. they bloom all the time inside. I also have a plant called oxallis. does absolutely wonderful in my window. beautiful little white flowers.These plants have been indoor plants for 5+ years.
    I use them as a natural curtain. I have window toppers and the plants are the "bottom". I do fertilize lightly during the winter months.