Indoor green thumb goes brown outdoors...

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Beeker, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

I don't get it.

I'm great with indoor plants. In fact, I don't have the heart to throw away clippings, so I am getting overrun with more plants than I know what to do with. But, when I am outdoors, trying to garden, I can't seem to get the plants to take. I do the research to make sure I am getting the right plants for the conditions they will be exposed to; sun, shade, fast draining, etc. but they don't seem to grow much, or want to flower. I don't understand why I can be so great with indoor potted plants, and so bad with outdoor gardens. Does anyone else have this problem? Any advice for the upcoming season?

2. Loading...

3. worldblue

worldblue New Seed

Hi Beeker,

Many people have the opposite experience. Mother Nature often does a better job at taking care of our plants than we do.

The first thing that jumps to mind is fertilizer. Flowering plants need a little extra "oomph" from phosphorus. Do you feed your plants?

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hi Beeker,
    Plants inside or outside give us signals that tell us their condition. As an "inside" person you are cognizant of the plants and when they have problems. Outside plants give us similar signals though they may happen on an accelerated time scale. They dry out quicker, insects attack them with increased frequency, roots are susceptible to a broader host of abnormalities etc. Outside it takes more vigilance, a more discerning eye for problems. Your expertise inside can be carried to the outside world but it takes daily patrols, lifting leaves, checking soil, and being aware of the unusual. After you establish a baseline for the conditions of your outside plants then problems will become obvious. You can then address the issue before it gets out of hand. You may unconsciously do these things inside, it seems perhaps that is not being translated to the outside garden. Each morning before I went to work I would walk the garden, noting issues had to be corrected when I returned home. Now that I'm retired it is easier and more fun. The problems get solved quickly and the garden is more enjoyable. I hope this helps a bit. If not the Stew has a host of others with broad spectrum of opinions.

Good luck,

Jerry

Beeker likes this.
  5. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I agree with what worldblue said about many having better luck growing plants outdoors.
    Hats off to you, it takes special insight to keep an indoor garden healthy. I love fussing with my indoor plants, but there is nothing like growing plants outside for me. There are so many more choices.
    My advice is don't give up! Connect with some gardening friends, or neighbors to try what they like and grow best, and get cuttings and starts to plant in your garden. Visit local nurseries for advice. Maybe you need a soil test to see what is missing in your soil. Adding the correct amendments is key to growing healthy plants. Good Luck!

Beeker likes this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Inside, you are in control; outside, Mother Nature is in control! It sounds as if you are cooperating with the lady by researching plants and not just sticking anything in anywhere. Jerry's advice about checking plants daily is excellent.
    If you are planting perennials, the rule of thumb is first year, settling in; second year, growth and blossom.
    Have you had your soil tested? Your plants may not be getting some nutrient they need, or an acid-loving plant may be in alkaline soil.
    When planting annuals, are you direct planting seeds or transplanting? If seed, you may be starting too late or too early. A good local nursery should be able to help you determine the optimum dates for your area.
    Lastly, it may be the plants. Are you getting them locally, or ordering from catalogs? There are some really terrible places to order plants. Buying from a local nursery gives you a place to take a leaf or stem sealed in a plastic bag and get a quick informed opinion on the problem.
    Hang in there--we'll all get you a great garden yet!

Beeker likes this.
  7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Beeker, I've got the opposite problem. Anything I bring inside dies so I've stopped buying indoor plants.

I know where my problem lies. I don't fuss with my indoor plants. Outside we've mostly got perennials. I buy, plant, check on them from time to time, feed them a few times during spring and summer, and that's it really. I can't do that to potted plants.

Don't give up, keep going! You'll get the hang of it, I'm certain.

Beeker likes this.
  8. Annette

Annette Seedling

:stew2:
    i have the opposite problem, too.....any house plant i try ends up dying....and (knock on wood) i do fairly well with the outdoor stuff. i can't even keep an indoor plant that thrives on neglect! be patient and keep trying.

9. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Sounds like we need an inside plant survivors guide. After all we ask tropical plants to survive in our comfort zone. Keep trying Annette, somewhere there's a plant out there just for you. :)

Jerry

10. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

Thank you all for your advice and experiences.

I haven't gotten my soil tested yet. I don't know where to go for that. I am guessing, because the property I am working with is so big, I will probably have to take soil from a few different sections. Does that sound right, or is the soil generally about the same in large areas?

As far as the indoor plants go, I don't know how I do it. Most of the time, I am careful and pay close attention to them, but there are times I can be neglectful, and when I see them getting droopy and/or dried out, I water them and they bounce back. The funny thing is, that I have jasmine plants, which I am told, and have read, that they are very difficult to keep healthy, and those are the ones that I am being overrun with! I clip and plant. I cannot throw away. Most of them take, and I have another new plant. I can't keep doing that. I have no room left! But I don't have the heart to throw it away when I know it could be a healthy, new plant. Somebody, please help me stop!

11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Beeker,
    Your county Agricultural Extension agent can get your soil tested, and also tell you how to go about taking samples. If you are near a state University, they can/will do it also.
    About all those house plants that are over-running your home--could you donate a few to a nursing home or assisted living facility? Many folks would love to have a bit of greenery, and the only danger is that they would over-love the plants! Check with the activities director at the facility to see if this is possible.
    If there is a public housing authority near you, some of their residents might like a plant to brighten up their apartment.
    Your green thumb will extend to outside plants, too. Just be patient, and keep trying!

Beeker likes this.
  12. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

Great idea! Thanks!

Would it be okay to give away plants that are considered difficult to keep? I would feel bad if the plants died. Would it be considered snobbish to give care instructions with the plants? Of course, I wouldn't want to give anyone a "white elephant."

13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Beeker, it would be better than nice to give care instructions with the plants! I always put care instructions on a 3"x5" card enclosed in a plastic sleeve with plants I give away, even if it is to a fellow gardener.
    Hard-to-care-for plants might better be donated to a church tag sale, or to any charity or group that is holding a sale. That way, people could decide if the plant was within their capabilities.
    Your green thumb is going to make a lot of folks happy!

14. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I think everyone gave you great advice. My problem sometimes is that I try TOO hard! Fussing over and plant and "thinking" I need to do something else for it it... and before you know it... it's a gonner.
    So, keep trying! And keep coming here... there's so many knowledgeable folks here that are always willing to help.