Iochroma cyaneum seed germination suggestions?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by art33, Oct 21, 2011.

1. art33

art33 New Seed

Hi everyone; new here and looking for some help. I recently purchased some Iochroma cyaneum 'Royal Blue' seeds. I intend to start them under fluorescent lights in my basement, sometime this winter. I was wondering if anyone here has ever grown this plant from seed. It will be the first time for me (for this plant) and any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm assuming that some cold stratification would be helpful, right?

2. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Hi Art... sorry... but I can't help out. I had to do an internet search on this plant. What a beauty! I just wanted to be "in the loop" when the knowledgeable folks reply. :-D
    I'm looking forward to learning about it!

3. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

Hi Art, I had to look it up too. It is certainly a beautiful plant. Good luck starting those seeds. Keep us updated on how it goes.

4. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

a new plant for me that one. looks lovely!! i consulted my bible and its not even in there sorry mate and good luck :)

carolyn likes this.

Advertisement
  5. art33

art33 New Seed

Thanks cherylad, kathyd, and lukeypukey! Even though you were not able to help with this one, it was nice that you responded to my post; I appreciate that very much. I agree that this is a beautiful plant, so I'm hoping for success with it's propagation.

The plant is in the same family as Datura (Solanaceae), so I guess propagation would be similar. The seeds however are nothing like Datura seeds, these guys are really tiny! Anyway, thanks again for responding, I'll keep y'all informed regarding this plant.

Art

6. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

you'll have to keep me posted as i've just aquired some datura seed :)

7. art33

art33 New Seed

Hi lukeypukey,

Not sure what kind of Datura seed you have. I've only grown D. metel; some purple and some yellows. In both cases, germination was not much of a problem. I did notice that about a month of cold stratification in the frig seemed to be helpful. I just uploaded three datura photos to my "garden" if your interested :)

Art