Iris Names?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Canadian Chelsea, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Canadian Chelsea

Canadian Chelsea In Flower

2. Loading...

3. Canadian Chelsea

*sigh* 22 viewings and no replies
    : (

There has to be some Iris gurus here? Right?

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Sorry Chelsea, I'm not an Iris guru. They are gorgeous! I looked in my plant encyclopedia but there is nothing similar. Good luck!

5. Canadian Chelsea

No guru

Thanks Netty for replying. I *wish* I was an Iris guru. Unfortunately I forget the names when I plant them. Forget to leave a marker with their names on it, but I love to grow them!

It's embarrassing when someone asks the name of the plant and I have to say "sorry, I don't know" :oops:

I should know their names. I really should.

So......I am going to either make or buy some classy-looking plant stakes like they have in botanical gardens.

Looks like I have another gardening project to do!

:stew2:

Advertisement
  6. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Sorry CC, I don't know the names, but they are beauties. I love your wattle fence in the background.

7. Canadian Chelsea

Eye see

Thank you, Cajunbelle :stew2: I built it around 12 years ago when we first moved here. It was meant to hide the neighbours old shed and it sort of does, but you can still see it.

By building a wattle fence, everyone who comes here is drawn to the look of the waddle fence AND the old shed behind it.

Oh well. More *character* for our backyard. :stew2:

8. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

CC, hubby just walked in with a plant catalog. Does World Premier sound familiar for the two tone purple, and how about Rustler for the cinnamon. They sure look close to me.

9. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Don't know the names CC ... I am partial to purple, but the rust colored one is gorgeous. Hope you get your answers.

10. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I think Toni is the Iris person! :stew1:

11. Canadian Chelsea

World Premier and Rustler it is!! :stew2:

I really have no idea what there names were so World Premier and Rustler it is. Unless an Iris guru visits my gardens, no-one will be the wiser. ;)

Thank you so much Cajunbelle, for your help with identifying my plants. :stew2:

12. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

13. Canadian Chelsea

I think you are spot on with the names of those Iris, Cajunbelle. :stew2:

The purple Iris top is a light lavendar colour like the one in the picture and the cinnamon is Rustler.

Thank you :stew2:

14. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I'm glad you found your pretty iris' names, CC.

Now that CajunBelle pointed out the wattle fence, I'd LOVE to see more of it and hear how you built it. My standard question -- where did you get the sticks? Is it sticks? I love the look of it.

15. Canadian Chelsea

Wattle Fence

Daisybeans, I will try to do my best in describing how I made the wattle fence.

First I hammered in some sturdy posts in the ground. Boy, that wasn't easy since there were a few rocks in the way.
    Then I drove around the countryside with my loppers on the seat next to me looking for pussywillow stands and also looked for wild honeysuckle whips to cut down.
    When I got home, I started to weave the branches through the posts.
    I selected the thickest rod and wove it in and out around the stakes.
    The next thickest rod was positioned so that its butt is where the thin end of the previous rod is.
    Then I wove the branch in and out around the stakes but on the opposite side of the stake from the previous stake.

As the branches are woven between the posts, it helps to push them down to make a denser fence. Stepping on them is one way to pack them down.

My husband came home while I was doing this and determined I didn't have enough branches so we lifted the woven branches up the posts. Then he secured some old railway ties under the fence line, found some extra boards that were lying around and made a low fence. Then I proceeded to weave the branches above it. So it is a semi-wattle fence.

[​IMG]
    Clematis blooming May 22, 2009 ( photo / image / picture from Canadian Chelsea's Garden )

16. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I love it -- thank you for posting the photo and I think your description of how you made it was perfect. I understand exactly. I have OODLES of vinestuff -- wild everything, clematis, honeysuckle... wisteria, . Of course I've been cutting it back for years. I could have fenced in the whole neighborhood by now! I will have to give some thought about where I could incorporate something like this in my yard. I like the combination of texture in the mixed material and the clematis. Very nice.