Is it to early to prune rosebushes for the winter?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Edlou8181, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Edlou8181

Edlou8181 Seedling

Is it to early to prune rosebushes for the Winter,and if so where should I start.(see photo)
    Also is it to early to plant Daffodil Bulbs for next spring.

[​IMG]
    rose bush ( photo / image / picture from Edlou8181's Garden )

[​IMG]
    notice bronze leaves ( photo / image / picture from Edlou8181's Garden )

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've just pruned all my rose bushes here in the UK. We've been warned that temperatures will drop in the middle of October and that we'll be having snow. :( I thought it best to cut them back now before any frosts get a chance to hit. I've also planted up some bulbs while the ground is still soft enough. All our garden centres have bulbs for sale for planting at this time of year.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

No, don't prune your roses yet. If you do, you may get new tender growth that will be winter-killed. It's best to wait until early, early spring (little red nubs appear on the canes, which are the beginnings of new leaves and twigs).Here in Texas we prune on Valentine's Day or thereabouts. We can be sure of perhaps one hard frost/freeze soon after that date. Judge when your last hard frost/freeze will be and prune close to that date.
    I can't tell you where to start because different types of rose (climbing, pillar, hybrid tea, own-root, shrub, etc.) have a different pruning requirements. Tell me what you have and perhaps I can help.
    Plant your daffodil bulbs--they'll have a chance to establish roots before the cold comes. Tulips and crocus can be planted now, also.

5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

An Old lady told me to prune my roses when the forsythias were in bloom. That is usually in April. Seems to work well in zone 6A :-D I'm headed out to buy bulbs right now and plant them tonight or tomorrow ;)

Advertisement
  6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Edlou8181,
    i think your question has being answered about your Daffodil Bulbs,..and your rose Bush Pruning,..the latter must be down to where you live,..plus as Marlingardener said after the last frost.

Tallish rose bushes,(10 ft) need pruning here in Ireland in November,..down to 15 to 30cm otherwise winds may loosen the roots.

Climbers here are pruned in Feb or March.

Looking at your rose bush,..its very leggy,..and strong winds will play hell with it,..so i would definitely use supports for it over winter.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hi Ed
    I see you are in NJ so we should have similar winters. I bury my Rose's roots in compost or mulch after the first frost. I do not prune them until spring when the first leaf buds appear and then I cut off any winter kill first.
    Oh, and NOW is the perfect time to plant bulbs :)