Is my boysenberry plant really a boysenberry plant?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by bob6831, Jul 11, 2009.

1. bob6831

bob6831 New Seed

Hi.
    I ordered thornless boysenberry plants from a 'seed' catalog last year and planted them in the spring. They have done well, and this year they are producing fruit for the first time......... but alas, I notice the canes have thorns, and now I am finding that the fruit looks very much like my red raspberries that I have about 30-40 feet away.
    What are the possible explanations? Could the seed company have sent me the wrong plants? Could the plants have become pollinated from my red raspberries and mutated???
    Thx

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thornless boysenberry plants dolook very like raspberry canes but if yours have thorns then either your raspberries have sent out runners or the seeds were at fault. Take photographs of your plants and send them to the place you purchased them from. Tell them they are producing thorns and see if they either send you replacement seeds or refund you for the purchase + postage and package. Good luck!!

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Boysenberry is a cross between a blackberry and raspberry so they will look alike, but it shouldn't have thorns. It sounds like the plants were mislabeled. The company you bought them from should replace it for you.