Is this really a trumpet vine?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Tina, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I don't see any vines in the plant. I am getting more and more frustrated with this one. And I don't want this plant to take up room in my garden if it isn't going to flower. Can someone id this plant for me? The bare root I bought had said 'trumpet vine' but I am very doubtful.

[​IMG]
    trumpet ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

[​IMG]
    trumpet ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

THIS is my trumpet vine. It is not quite blooming in this picture, nor yet this season.

I do not think your plant is a trumpet vine. It does not have the same leaves as mine. Yours appear to be smooth edged, not toothed. Mine has toothed leaves.

[​IMG]
    trumpet vine blooms ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

this is a close up of my trumpet vine with blooms.

Your leaves are quite different.

4. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

My bench arbor was new when this picture was taken in 09... I have since removed the old trellis and pruned the vine, and the vine has fully adapted to the new arbor.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Advertisement
  6. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Yes they do look like the Honeysuckle. Do you know how long it takes for it to start blooming?

7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    This is the bare root plant I bought years ago, Lonicera sempervirens (Trumpet Honeysuckle, Coral Honeysuckle). The hummingbirds love it. Sorry can't remember how long it took to bloom. Mine is in full sun and blooms spring through summer until first frost.

8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Now that the others mentioned it, your vine does look like wild honeysuckle. But if you bought it at a nursery, it should be a tame variety. I don't know about the tame variety, but the wild varieties go hog wild and get very invasive. I have no idea how long it takes them to bloom, but it is profuse once they do begin blooming.

http://www.growingthehomegarden.com/201 ... icera.html

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/honeysucklecare.html

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamen ... e-care.htm

Here are a few websites regarding several types of honeysuckles. There are many different kinds. I have several kinds growing wild here. The websites talk about their care and growing habits, and have a few pictures.

When I buy plants, I now save the ID tags in a tin to have to refer to when I want to. Nurseries sometimes make mistakes and put wrong tags on the plants. I have had that happen with roses a lot. Sometimes it is customers who play with the ID tags and put them in the wrong pots also. However, I still save the tags, and hopefully, they did not get mixed up somehow.