It's cold, cold,cold!!!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by dooley, Nov 29, 2005.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

It was only 20 degs f. when we got up this morning. We decided to go to Phoenix because it is always warmer in Phoenix. But, my sister said it was only 39 degs.f there at 8:30 am. It was a bit warmer when we got there around noon. The sweatshirts still felt good. I put my coat back on when we left though. The altitude makes the difference. Tomorrow, I will get out my bale of straw and put it around my bushes and some plants. The garden book said not to put down the straw until we had a hard freeze. The ground doesn't really freeze though. The geraniums died. The petunias are still doing good. The big mulberry tree had lots of leaves last night but not many left this morning. I laughed because they are about knee deep on the ground. I was waiting for all of them to fall before I raked them again. I think I can safely do that now. I'm thinking maybe I will leave them around the bulbs I planted until spring. My son says I'll be inviting slugs. I don't know about that. Dooley

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I lost my Canna's as the frost just suddenly appeared without warning a few weeks back. Also lost my Angel's Trumpets even athough they were stored in the shed. Simply too cold here for them. It's -7 here today so I think I'll stay indoors.

4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I was outside working today in short sleeve t-shirt and jeans. I had to put on a long sleeve shirt so I wouldn't sunburn. It has been colder but we are ha ivng a warm spell. Rain is predicted for the weekend. Sat thru Tues. Maybe snow in the high country. i hope that this time we are not high country. BRR! Dooley